Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #31
Easy Rider

Re: My GZ250 gets funky in fifth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordell_Love
maybe the dominican dude who owned it previously took'em off and lost'em...my spanish sucked as bad as his english.

put half a cup of seafoam in a full tank of gas...the engine runs smoother and a bit stronger,
I suspect the PO was screwing around with changing the pipes and lost them in the process.
I suggest you get some and put them on; this still may be part of your problem.

As for carb. cleaner, SeaFoam is not REALLY good carb. cleaner. It may be good "enough" in some circumstances but you should not get in the habit of counting on it.
Original Gumout Carb. cleaner (not mulit-functional stuff) or Berryman's B12 are much better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #32
Cordell_Love

alright i survived ike, got my power back after 17 days and got some answers...the gaskets were in there they were just so black that we thought they were just part of the exhaust valve. I chiseled them out and put the new ones in. now the bike farts when it warms up but after that everything's bueno. BUT it still lugs in 5th, at least at the speed i've got it up to which is 55 to 60...have fun with that!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordell_Love
BUT it still lugs in 5th, at least at the speed i've got it up to which is 55 to 60...have fun with that!
When you consider that 5th gear really functions like an overdive and there is virtually no "pull" when your are in 5th, what you describe is probably normal. This is especially true if you have a 16T front sprocket.

There just ain't much left after 60 and having no windshield so that you have a 60 mph wind hitting you in the chest just makes matters worse.........isn't that right, Alan ?? :biggrin:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #34
alanmcorcoran

My wife is attempting to return the non returnable windshield that arrived with the misdrilled strap, wrong mounting kit and missing parts. I have a 100 mile plus round trip to a wedding in Malibu next Sunday that I will be doing sans windshield. I think I'm starting to get used to it. Bear in mind, I wear the full face lid so it's mainly the drag on speed that's at issue.

I can easily go over 60 though. If I put my face down on the speedo, I can break 70. I don't have the 16T and I can get decent power out of fifth gear. My work commute doesn't offer much opportunity above 50 so I don't notice the wind or the speed issue much. It's the "pleasure" rides where I bump up against the limits.