Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
alanmcorcoran

Re: Bike just won't start!

You'd do better with a video (with sound.) If you mark (with a sharpie, say) where the idle is set to and keep track of direction and turns, you can always put it back to where it was. It's a pretty simple control.

I'm a little confused about the gas leak (again, you shouldn't need to be priming it.) The tube sounds like the drain tube for the filter box, but it shouldn't have any gas in it. (I don't have a manual handy to look up the number.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #32
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenousPirate
I didn't really want to toy with it since I have no way of telling how many rpm's the engine is doing.

Another question... after replacing the gas I set the petcock to prime again and noticed that gas was leaking out of a hose under the seat,
Those two things taken together......that you don't think you can get close to an appropriate idle speed by ear AND that you now have a gas leak....makes me believe that you NEED to visit a dealer.

Are you saying that it will not hold an idle even WITH the choke operated ??
What is the other end of the leaking hose connected TO ??

It could mean that the float is stuck and it won't idle because it is flooding out.
Regardless of the cause of the leak, you are now in a situation that could be DANGEROUS.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #33
RavenousPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Are you saying that it will not hold an idle even WITH the choke operated ??
What is the other end of the leaking hose connected TO ??

It could mean that the float is stuck and it won't idle because it is flooding out.
Regardless of the cause of the leak, you are now in a situation that could be DANGEROUS.
Correct. It won't hold an idle even with the choke on.

The hose isn't connected to anything. It comes out of the side of the carburetor, goes above/behind the battery along the side of the air cleaner, and then down along the luggage box underneath the seat where there is a clip that holds it into place and it ends. As far as I can tell there's nothing to attach the hose to.

Sigh. I think I'll just give up and take it to a dealer at this point. Oh well. I want to thank you guys for giving me so much help on this. Sorry for the dumb questions =P

Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #34
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenousPirate
Haven't been able to check the forums the last couple days, sorry about that.

I didn't try running the bike for that long, no. I think I kept the throttle down for about a minute or so.

Stock air cleaner is still in place to my knowledge but I can check that tomorrow. Yes, I've had the choke on everytime I've tried as well as leaving the petcock on prime.

I haven't tried replacing the gas, so I will try that tomorrow. Also, I haven't checked the idle adjustment screw but I can give that a look tomorrow as well. What exactly am I looking for? =D

There's 5800 miles on the bike. It had one previous owner, and to my knowledge the only service done on it was to replace the rear reflector or something like that due to a recall. Other than that, I've replaced the front brake pads myself.
My suggestion at this point would be to get a complete service done at the dealer or a good independant shop. I mean have them go over everything. Usually it costs about 300.00 and they check everything, including valve adj., throttle, brakes,etc. You, as the new owner, will then know what has been done to the bike.

Just a suggestion, FWIW.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #35
burkbuilds

I'll second bonehead's recommendation. After 5,000 miles your valves probably need adjustment anyway and having a dealer go over the bike sounds like a good thing to do.