Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #31
Jvacustoms

Re: new air filter set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
Johnathan didn't you attempt a similar set up on your bike what did you have in there ?
I had stock exhaust and a pod air filter. I was good with a 122.5 or a 125, I don't recall 100%.
One shim on the needle and just a slight turn on idle screw. I was lucky to get it locked in so quick, but just didn't notice an improvement that would allow me to push the mod on the masses.
so the pod filter only took a gain of 5 in the main jet?

because i had 130 running perfect on my pipe and now not so much.

I will look for a 135 that should do the trick, I do think that the k&n style might bet more air flow than the pod type i saw in the other post. So i will go 5..

I don't know though I am thinking that I might just need 1 shim under the needle because right now the mix is at somewhere around 4. I had to make it rich to get it home and to work to see where it was really lacking. and i am convinced that it is the main jet and maybe an over-shimmed needle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #32
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

When you're jetting on your own, you have to start with the main and then work your way down. It's because the main most controls 3/4 to full throttle, but also has a minor impact at all levels.

So, ideally, you want to dial in the full throttle part of the ride, then work down to mid-range and finally end with the pilot/idle.

You've done it in reverse, I think. It's not that big of a deal, except that you're seeing why getting the main jet is the most important part.
You're lower and mid-range were spot on. But if it turns out that you have to up the main jet (which is where you're headed) then you have to do the mid-range and low stuff all over again. If not, you'll get a perfect high flow and then be rich in the mid and bottom.

Sure it's just a couple of steps. But why do something three or four times when 2 times is good enough?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #33
Jvacustoms

Quote:

Sure it's just a couple of steps. But why do something three or four times when 2 times is good enough?
Because I learn more about how it works and I wont make those mistakes again, and also I will be able to finer tune the carburetor now that I know how each part effects the bike first hand. And the most important part, I get to tinker with something. I like tinkering it keeps me thinking about new inventions!!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #34
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513&hilit=jetting%3A+part+I&st art=25

I just read back through this.
It was a 125 that I was good with.

You'll also see me respond to someone else in there about how jetting varies from bike to bike and location to location.
Lots of different variables.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
Jvacustoms

Quote:
http://gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513&hilit=jetting%3A+part+I&st art=25

I just read back through this.
It was a 125 that I was good with.

You'll also see me respond to someone else in there about how jetting varies from bike to bike and location to location.
Lots of different variables.

well i believe that I am finally getting close i have went full spectrum from 130-140 (130,132.5,135,137.5,140) and at 140 i finally started to get a nice responsive throttle and not so much pop so i installed a new plug and I am gonna ride her and let the plug tell me what to do because of the newer exhaust it is a bit harder for me to differentiate the sounds of lean pops and rich backfires unless it occurs in the carb, so I am letting the plug do it for me. let it be my ears. and i have 3 spare new ones in case i need them, and a tool kit. i have the needle shimmed using the factory washer from above the e clip and i installed a thin nylon washer on top of the eclip to ensure proper spring pressure. I have the mixture set to about 2.625 turns out and the idle set a little on the high side cause she's not smooth yet.... skips every once in a while so i figure i am not perfect on the mixture yet.

I am learning alot about the way the carb works and i get to learn at my own speed so, i am not at all unhappy that I have had the carb off so many times. :2tup:

Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #36
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Cool, man.

140 would make you the richest jetted GZ on the planet, as far as I know.
Do you have a huge exhaust pipe diameter or something?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #37
Jvacustoms

Quote:
Cool, man.

140 would make you the richest jetted GZ on the planet, as far as I know.
Do you have a huge exhaust pipe diameter or something?
I have taken it from a 1.25" o.d. to a 1.5" o.d. outlet but the middle is a 2-2.5" dia.with removable baffle, that I have blown the baffling out of a few times. It had fiberglass wrap it lasted 2-3 days, so it was straight pipe after that. Then i added steel wool from the local hardware store and wrapped that to the baffle with bailing wire. that seems to have lasted thus far but it is steadily getting deeper and louder so i have a feeling that is slowly blowing out too. I am gonna get some baffling when it is convenient for me as far as shipping goes from rocky mountain ATV and wrap the baffle in a thin sheet of fiber glass then a nice layer of steel wool and then some more fiber glass to protect the pipe exterior from the steel wool turning my chrome as it has tried to started doing already when it touched it while i was working on the carb settings and it was so lean.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #38
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Your local bike shop should have this stuff:

Although, based on your tales of your local bike shop.... I guess we'll just have to see.

It will last longer than any of the homebrew stuff.
And I am partial to picture wire.

Use steel wool under the packing material.

check this out:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Repacking_a_Muzzy
Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #39
Jvacustoms

that is the stuff i was gonna get from rocky mountain atv when i order next time!