Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #31
mole2

Re: I Accidentally Left the Petcock in Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I change my oil before storage in the winter.I never change in the spring until ready for regular oil change.
:cool:
I used to do the same thing on my boat as I didn't want to leave old oil which contained acids from combustion in the crackcase over the winter. I took up the bike after I moved here (to SC) and can ride basically all year long so I just change the oil depending on mileage or time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #32
Way

Well finally! Got the oil changed, took the air tank to the spark plug and put some fuel stabilizer in the tank. I used this stuff:

Guy at the motorcycle shop said it was good stuff.

I had the battery on the charger, which was probably a good thing considering how long it took to get started. Even on prime it took quite some time for it to catch. I'd crank it, stop, crank stop, etc and then it would catch, run for about a half second and cut out again. I let it sit a little bit between crank sessions and I'd also open the throttle about half way and let it out again right off. Finally it caught and kept running. Seems like it's going to be fun to get started next Spring. O_o

Took her out and rode for about 10 miles or so. It's currently 54F here but sure felt colder. I was so eager to get out there I forgot to close all the vents on my jacket. :whistle: It's supposed to be relatively warm again tomorrow and I'll be out again for sure. Then I'm going to take the air hose and clean off the air filter, use some kerosene for the chain and make sure no more warm weather is coming before I put it up for winter. I originally planned to build a lean-to for it but I'm probably going to have to settle for a couple of tarps. So much for plans I guess.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #33
Water Warrior 2

Keep in mind the air filter flows air from the inside to the outside. Opposite of most normal air filters. Tap the filter on the floor first to dislodge the looser stuff. Be careful not to blow a hole in the filter with enthusiasm.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #34
Way

Thanks Bob, I was reading that in the manual. I meant to do this before I took it for a spin. TONS of dust around here, even worse than usual.

I also wasn't too impressed with the small o-ring on the oil filter. I'm still not entirely sure I've put it on correctly. When I took it out of the old one it fit inside the inner hole real snug. I couldn't get it to do the same on the new one. I put it on the shaft inside and then put the oil filter on but I'm not quite sure it's doing anything.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #35
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You'll know if it's not installed right. You'll start getting oil seeping from around the oil filter cover.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #36
Way

I'll have to check. I'm pretty sure I got the large o-ring in place. Or do you mean that if the smaller o-ring is out of place, the extra pressure would overcome the seal on the cover?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #37
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
I'll have to check. I'm pretty sure I got the large o-ring in place. Or do you mean that if the smaller o-ring is out of place, the extra pressure would overcome the seal on the cover?
In that case, I don't know.
I assumed you meant the larger O-ring.... to be honest, it's the only one I remember.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #38
blaine

You should be fine.The small o-ring is there to insure that the oil goes through the filter,by making a good seal.The outer spring holds the filter tight. :cool:

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #39
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
You should be fine.The small o-ring is there to insure that the oil goes through the filter,by making a good seal.The outer spring holds the filter tight. :cool:
Great, thanks Blaine.

I've ridden the last couple of days. Pretty cool today, about 38F. Wasn't too bad but for my fingers. I only made it about 10 miles out, but had to turn back because they were freezing. I'll pick up some snowmobile gloves tomorrow. The Suzuki dealer is about an hour away but they seem to be a pretty good shop, great hours - open till 6 pm weekdays and 5 pm on Saturdays.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #40
mrlmd1

Do you have a windshield on your bike? Get one with extended hand guards to reduce the wind chill. it makes a big difference, SS28 or Plexistar for example.