Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
mrlmd1

Re: Why I like living in Florida

WW - c'mon down.
Dentheman- Now you need a FL fishing license, to fish from a boat, the shore, or public docks. No need for one if you're a senior citizen or fishing off your own dock. There are specific seasons open to specific fish throughout the year to limit catches and let stocks regroup. And it amazes me still when people say they're going out fishing for a certain kind of fish. Unless you are pretty specific in where and what bait you use, you really have no clue what you've caught 'till you bring it up to the surface. I've caught reds, trout, flounder, sharks, ladyfish, all with the same bait in the same spot, it all depends what's there at the time. And grouper, snapper, etc. all go after the same bait. So if you catch something, just be happy and call it a good day. And only take what you want to eat, catch and release is still the best way to go.
Scallop season is pretty much fun - you go snorkeling in 4-6' of water over the grassy flats and just dive down and pick 'em up off the bottom, a limit of a bushel a day or a pint of meat/person/day, or 5 bushels/boat. Cleaning them is a chore, unless you use the redneck way with a shop vac to get all the gook out and leave just the meat. Open July 1st- Sept 10th.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #32
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Unless you are pretty specific in where and what bait you use, you really have no clue what you've caught 'till you bring it up to the surface.
Fish has always been one of the staples in Tenerife. In Puerto de la Cruz, the local fishermen pull their small open boats up on the sands in the harbour, then take the catch up to a large, stainless covered, table, to sell off what was in the sea half an hour before. Each boat has so many different fish for sale, and I've no idea what the majority are.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #33
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
WW - c'mon down.
I would love to drop in for a visit and fish. I have the time but not the slush fund to make it happen. Florida would be quite a trek from here so I would probably drive rather than ride. I don't have near the endurance level required to be a long distance rider. Or maybe I just need a new Gold Wing. :lol:
Lynda's brother and his wife used to winter in Florida for years but haven't gone south for about 3 years now. He has a monster motorhome for major road trips and extended stays.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, years ago we had a very large plate covered with freshly caught Tuna in Skagway Alaska. MMM Good and then some. That was an eye opener for the tastebuds.
At a roadside stop(The Monderosa) we also found the biggest hamburger of our lives. Can you imagine a meat patty needing 4 slices of cheese to cover it. Yeah, it was that big and very tasty. Before we left I had another meat paddy cooked up for the dog. She wasn't hungry again till the next day.