Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
OldNTired

Re: Problems related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Just don't do anything that requires an arrest.
My friend, the laws are so restrictive these days that the average person
commits 3 felonies almost every day without even realizing it! Google it if you doubt that.
I'd rather just ride my bike in peace, though.
But I still can't. Had a chance to actually ride it for a while today.
Lots of noise, very little torque.
But - no leaking!
I've been setting valves since my first car, a '57 Sport Fury,
I guess either I've lost my touch,
or something else is wrong.
No time to work on it until late next week though,
too much damage around the house, yard, and garden to fix first.
These storms have been brutal.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #32
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
My point was that it's the TRAFFIC COPS that I'm against. Both in England & over here, their role seems to be that of money gatherers for the government. I've not seen the slightest indication that they're in any way interested in trying to reduce accidents & deaths. I've seen many incidents where someone's made a genuine mistake, but instead of having a quiet word of advice they immediately go into "FINE" mode, because getting money out of motorists is easier than working for a living, & the more money they make, the better they're thought of by their bosses.

As an example, I was 6 MPH over the limit. This was genuinely accidental. I'd taken my eyes off the speedo to check that the good straight road (with no real reason for a limit) was clear, then reduced my speed to the limit. But it was enough for the money gatherer in uniform to issue me with a €100 ($150?) fine.

Not much different than here! I have been luck the older I get though.
For the last 10 years they have let me go with a warning.
What was the speed limit where they stopped you?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #33
alantf

[attachment=0:7lmbym73]view 37.JPG[/attachment:7lmbym73][attachment=1:7lmbym73]view 32.JPG[/attachment:7lmbym73]50 k/hr. But although I was slightly over, it was not intentional. There is no good reason for that limit, on this stretch of good road, with no houses, schools, hidden dangers etc, except as a cash cow for the police. I was well aware of this, & knew that there was often a hidden camera car, so the slight speed increase was as I took my eyes off the speedo to check the road ahead. I'm surprised that there aren't more accidents on that stretch of road, with motorists watching the speedo more than the road. These are a couple of views of the road.....$150 for 6mph!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #34
Water Warrior 2

There is one danger that I can see. You may fall asleep from boredom and hit a light pole. In all honesty that section of road could be a 70 or 80 kph easily with a reduced limit for any curves.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #35
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, just had a thought as to the speed limit. Could it be possible that the limit is lower than expected to make it safer for the smaller scooters that are so common there. Some of them barely top out above 55 kph on flat ground.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
alantf

Not really....They're usually the ones that shoot past me while I'm at the speed limit.

Another example of cash gathering.......... Quite often, on the approach to a roundabout (in a 50 K/hr zone) there'll be a single 40 k/hr sign, about ½ mile before the roundabout. If anyone should miss that single sign, then woe betide them, because the police wait (in hiding) at the roundabouts for anyone approaching at 50 k/hr, so they can jump out and fine them.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

Ouch, sounds like a money maker with one sign.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #38
OldNTired

Quote:
[attachment=0:21jkvtc9]view 37.JPG[/attachment:21jkvtc9][attachment=1:21jkvtc9]view 32.JPG[/attachment:21jkvtc9]50 k/hr. But although I was slightly over, it was not intentional. There is no good reason for that limit, on this stretch of good road, with no houses, schools, hidden dangers etc, except as a cash cow for the police. I was well aware of this, & knew that there was often a hidden camera car, so the slight speed increase was as I took my eyes off the speedo to check the road ahead. I'm surprised that there aren't more accidents on that stretch of road, with motorists watching the speedo more than the road. These are a couple of views of the road.....$150 for 6mph!!!!!!

I am a little confused. You say you were going 50 KPH, but them said 6 MPH over the limit! Please be consistent - us old guys get confused easily!
Also, I always think in MPH, so your 50 KPH is only about 30 MPH!
Hell, I'd drive that road at 60 or 70 MPH and the hell with the cops!

To find a piece of road that nice around here is almost imposible.
Where did they hide the potholes? And that view is great!

In any case, if you were 6 over, either KPH or MPH 98% of cops here would
ignore it and write it off as speedometer error.

I got nothing done today; thunderstorms and darkness most of the day, and no electric for many hours. Drat! I have to get the bike fixed!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #39
OldNTired

Quote:
Not really....They're usually the ones that shoot past me while I'm at the speed limit.

Another example of cash gathering.......... Quite often, on the approach to a roundabout (in a 50 K/hr zone) there'll be a single 40 k/hr sign, about ½ mile before the roundabout. If anyone should miss that single sign, then woe betide them, because the police wait (in hiding) at the roundabouts for anyone approaching at 50 k/hr, so they can jump out and fine them.
Yes, something that seems to be common around the world. Down South in the USA they are known to put the signs behind bushes and such and wait for tourists.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #40
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
There is one danger that I can see. You may fall asleep from boredom and hit a light pole. In all honesty that section of road could be a 70 or 80 kph easily with a reduced limit for any curves.
Agreed! Around here, without a sign stating a lower speed, it would
automatically be a 50 or 55 MPH limit. It'd the kind of road that I
would probably drive at 60 to 70 MPH. OK, well, if the bike was running I would!