Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #41
Rookie Rider

Re: I did it! I cut my muffler off and added a new one.

Jonathan, whats your input ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #42
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
The suzuki dealer gave me part #k4/042 by Mikuni. But i noticed these i bought do not have a slot for the flat head screwdriver. Its just a flat top. The whole head of the jet can be tightned with a small wrench cause it has that shape. The manual part # is 09491-24026 it says. Im confused on what to do now. I think im gonna go back to suzuki doucher, i mean dealer :/ and see if they have a slotted jet head.
These ones can be installed with a small socket & driver. :cool:

Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #43
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
The suzuki dealer gave me part #k4/042 by Mikuni. But i noticed these i bought do not have a slot for the flat head screwdriver. Its just a flat top. The whole head of the jet can be tightned with a small wrench cause it has that shape. The manual part # is 09491-24026 it says. Im confused on what to do now. I think im gonna go back to suzuki doucher, i mean dealer :/ and see if they have a slotted jet head.
These ones can be installed with a small socket & driver. :cool:
Blaine's right. They'll still work. You just use a small socket head instead of a screwdriver.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #44
Rookie Rider

So there is room for a socket head ? Ok, i wanted to make sure before taking the carb off. Thank you blain and jonathan .
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #45
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You don't even have to remove the whole thing.
Work from the passenger side of the bike.
Remove the side cover.
Loosen the carb boots on the front and back and tilt the carb away from you.
Carefully remove the float bowl. (Don't damage the bowl gasket or strip those tiny screws.)
Unscrew the main jet that is in there and then reinsert your new one, using a small socket to tighten. (Do not over-tighten. Snug is fine)
Re-install gasket and bowl.
Turn petcock to PRI to refill float bowl and then start the bike. (Don't forget to put it back on RUN)

Take it for a ride. If you still feel like the jetting needs some tweaking, then the next thing you'll do is the needle shim.

For good measure, inspect and adjust throttle cables after you've been fooling around down there.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #46
Rookie Rider

Ok, i took the main jet out. Very easy job to do. All i did was take off the float bowl, and then remove the main jet. Nothing else, 2steps only. When inspecting the old 120 jet, the hole looked bigger then the new 130 jet. Then i looked at the new jet and noticed the threads are different from the old one. FML. So i have to get back to the suzuki dealer and get the correct main jet. I put it all back together, and took it for a nice 1hour ride. I was kinda pissed. Thanks for the help fellerz.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #47
PimpS

Sound please!!! It really ooks great and may be, if the sound is much better I'll have my summer bemuffled...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #48
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Since you know what you are doing now, just pull the jet again and take it in and show them what you need.
Being a bike shop, they HAVE to have a set of jets on hand somewhere in the back. The mechanics at my local Suzuki dealer used to bring out this tackle box full of stuff and let me poke through it. In turn, If I ordered jets online that I didn't need or something like that, then I would just give them to them. It was a nice working relationship.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #49
PimpS

Since I'm not english, is the jet the screw with a tiny hole through which gasoline make his way? If so, how is the mileage per gallon affected usually?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #50
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Pimp,

You have assumed correctly.

The numbers on the jets are code for the size of the hole. A #110 jet is larger than a #105 but smaller than a #115, for example.
Often times, gas mileage can be slightly affected but it depends on the state of tune of the bike as well. A larger opening for gas to flow through means that the engine is going to consume more gas, generally. However, when a motor is properly jetted, it can also make slightly more power and it's possible that in doing so, if the rider is still rather conservative with his throttle usage, that gas mileage may stay the same, or in some rare instances, actually increase.

I have experiences this going both ways.
When there are no changes to an engine's air flow, like when I had the 150cc scooter, I downsized the main jet just slightly and saw a fuel economy increase close to 15 mpg. On the GZ, my overall fuel economy decreased 2-4 mpg. And on my current bike (2007 Qlink Legacy 250), after installing a new muffler and jetting up to keep up with air flow, my fuel economy stayed exactly the same.

Like with anything, once you get more sound or power out of a machine, you tend to want to use it, which will also lead to an overall increase of fuel usage. I would think though, theoretically, that even if you upjet, if it is done properly and the mixture is neither rich nor lean, but just right, then mileage should stay the same... There are just so many variables in the game, that there is really no way to tell. Just assume that larger holes mean you are going to use more gas; but it's negligible.