Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #41
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: which exhaust?

If you're just going to get a straight piece of exhaust pipe, then you definitely need something.

Go to Home Depot, buy two crumb cups from the plumbing department and some sheet metal screws. I would also use the screen as a baffle.
I don't think you really appreciate how mind numbingly loud this is going to be. I still think you should just get a universal Jc Whitney or EMGO muffler and have it put on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #42
Rookie Rider

Oh wow, thats great...... and cheap.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #43
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Oh wow, thats great...... and cheap.
Yeah, you gotta love those big box hardware stores for DIYers.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #44
Rookie Rider

My buddy is telling me not to put the tailpipe on now to buy a muffler. Dammit.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #45
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
My buddy is telling me not to put the tailpipe on now to buy a muffler. Dammit.
Maybe he doesn't want to hear your bike when you ride together. Personal opinion here but I don't see any reason for a loud bike. I once tried it on a Suzuki SP370 single years ago. Sounded great for 2 days and then got really annoying. Riding a bike is hazardous enough to your hearing, why push your luck. But it is your choice and I can't hear you from the west coast. :lol:

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #46
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

My first experience with a loud muffler(s) was a set Cobra F1Rs that I put on my Ninja 250. When I first fired up the bike, it was an indescribably awesome crotch-tingling experience. At idle, these things "fwoped" just enough to sound fat and mean. Completely different bike. On the road, however, and at speed, it made the entire universe inside my brain vibrate and rattle and it was impossible to even think clearly.

I tried to pretend that it was OK for a couple of days, since the idle sound was just so pleasing, but I couldn't do it. It hurt too much.
I replaced them with the more subtle Cobra F1s and kept those for the duration of my ownership.

Your friend is right. I can't think of too many people who run open pipes on a street machine and enjoy it. If you are one of those guys that only rides once a month, maybe you can live with it. But those types of guys aren't real bikers anyway. :whistle:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #47
Jvacustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
If you are one of those guys that only rides once a month, maybe you can live with it. But those types of guys aren't real bikers anyway.
:rawk: :2tup: :lol: :twisted: I am starting to see that, the more I ride...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #48
mrlmd1

When I bought my Suzuki S50 the PO had put on Cobra mufflers. Not kidding, it was the coolest motorcycle sound you ever heard. As soon as you started up the bike you knew it was mean, you could tell there was someone home. It was powerful. I rode it that way for a couple of months, then went on eBay and found an almost new set of stock pipes and switched them back and couldn't be happier.
One of the reasons people go for loud pipes is that when they lose their hearing (from loud pipes) they have to get louder pipes to hear them. There is really nothing cool in having a bike that makes a lot of noise. The GZ is a little bike and the loud noise it's going to make from the kind of exhaust you are considering is like a lawnmower or big chain saw without a muffler - it's going to be very loud and sound like s**t, even worse with your home-made baffle in it. You want to spend your money, get a real factory made muffler that will fit, or leave it alone. And when you change the muffler and backpressure, you may have to rejet and screw with the carb to get the bike to run right. You are in for more than you realize, besides slowly going deaf and pissing off everyone around you.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #49
Jvacustoms

I purchased an emgo 12" shorty Muffler and have yet to install it because I ride so much but I am going to swap it soon enough. I am gonna make sure not to deface the stock pipe just in case. As far as the Carb work goes I have been a Mechanic since I was able to walk in to the Garage and watch my Mother and Step Father Stripping apart engines rebuilding them and roasting tires just before they were ready to be changed. and if the shorty is too loud for me i might even try the breadcrumb cups before just putting the stock pipe back on... Never can tell what it will do unless you do it. I have also been playing around with a mini roots charger idea to increase the performance of the little engine. But I think that Might Kill it, Quickly! don't mean i wont give it a whirl at least once.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #50
Water Warrior 2

A mini Roots charger would probably work well until the engine turned to slag. I would have serious doubts about the smaller oil volume and cooling capacity of the GZ. But go for it. The results could surprise all of us.