Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #41
PimpS

Re: Small oil leak on cooling fins

OK! Thanks JWR!

So the news, after cca. 1000 km after filling up the oil, the situation with dirty oily fins is ok, oil is still just a little below the full mark. Seems like i have heated and run my bike a little bit too much on my first ride to sea side. It's going well, but I need to change oil next week, and i'll have check it out thouroughly. I am a happy cruiser!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #42
rynr

I've got experience with two GZ 125 and GZ 250. And GZs often have leaks on the left side of bike. My ex-125 had a leak under the head - when i was replacing cam shaft chain i put some serious red silicon (i don't know if i wrote it correctly english ). I've got a leak propably in the same place in actually GZ 250, and my girlfriend has too in 125 . Tomorrow i'm going to do some stuff with engine (new clutch in 250, valve regulations and cylinder head inspection in both), so i hope i will find the leaks in both bikes

In every bike to aviod this situation you should keep mixture right (carb regulation) make sure that valve clearance is correct.

antipeterleague - blue burned exhaust may be an effect of burning oil or overheating engine - overheating may cause leaks.

I don't actually know how periodic inspection looks like in other countries, but in Poland every bike must be taken to vehicle control station where bikes are inspected once a year. It's a possiblity to make carb regulation with a machine that inspects fumes and it's free when you have a valid inspection stamp. It can't be done wrong - you're turning mixture screw to have correct ratio on screen

PS check if spark plug isn't lossy.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #43
PimpS

Funny! These leaks happened after the valves were set by mechanic, but not to make him quilty alone, after this service i made some serious almost 1000 km, with top speed, long rides of 220 kms, 70 % time between 100 and 120 km/h in a hot mediterranean weather (38 degrees celsius and more)... I'll have it inspect it, as soon as my mechanic will have time...
Thanks Rynr! Good luck tommorrow!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #44
rynr

Our GZ's like colder temperatures, in 20 degrees they run the best

PS. Consider Motul 300V Factory Line 100% synthetic oil.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #45
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpS
Funny! These leaks happened after the valves were set by mechanic, but not to make him quilty alone, after this service i made some serious almost 1000 km, with top speed, long rides of 220 kms, 70 % time between 100 and 120 km/h in a hot mediterranean weather (38 degrees celsius and more)... I'll have it inspect it, as soon as my mechanic will have time...
Thanks Rynr! Good luck tommorrow!
Oh my, I think you were pushing the bike pretty hard. An air cooled bike running maximum or near maximum will not be a happy bike at those temps.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #46
PimpS

We live, we learn! I hope i'll have him cured... I really like my PimpSerS, week ago i went for a ride with my friend, who has Bonneville, and GZ was going a ok, with the pace, but driving uphill, you see he's only 250 and Bonneville 800...
Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #47
rynr

both leaks found in 125 and 250
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #48
antipeterleague

Another week, another leak. This time somewhere different than what I initially fixed. Seems like its coming somewhere in the middle of the engine block

There is a screw and nut hanging upside down in the middle of the block at the front, it seems to be covered in oil. Any clues? Maybe time to bring it into the shop
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #49
blaine

Make sure that nuts is tight as it has a habit of loosing up. :cool:

Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #50
antipeterleague

Just to confirm we're talking about the same thing here, in the first photo, the screw with a nut around it is located just above that opening that looks to be splattered with oil?