Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #51
Water Warrior 2

Re: Motor Overhaul (summer project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
wow dude you got it at all angles :2tup: still bottom line i would go see a performance engine builder and see. i happen to kno wthat those swerl things are a scam, they do nothing but act as a restriction. and once the so called "mixed air hits the carb it will go back to where it was and you still wont get the swerl you need for proper cumbustion. i actually went to school for 2 years on automotive and thats where i learned this stuff. if i were you i would make the intake and exhaust ports bigger, gasket match and 3 or if possible 5 angle valve job and thats where you will find more power. as i said if you think im full of it go see that engine builder.

someday ill have a GZ300 i cant wait to i plan on leaving the bke stock looking but getting new emblems made that say gz 300 instead of 250 that would be pretty cool
Geezer take a moment will ya. Air and fuel meet and greet in the carb. Go hand in hand to the intake valves and then into the combustion chamber as the swirl head gives then a whirl.
Are you actually thinking of one of those aftermarket devices that swirls the the air before it enters the intake and fuel system. Commonly sold for cages.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #52
geezer

yea i was thinking thats what he was talking about, the spin disk things people put into there cars thats supposed to give air a denser charge or sumptin. i guess i misunderstood him. but my point still stands, port and polish in my opinion is not a good idea, the end
Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #53
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

From my experience, port and polish is a great idea on most applications, if you are racing.
Port matching manifolds and smoothing intake and exhaust ports are only going to help increase air flow in and out of the engine. Thing is, most people don't ever really need anything more than the factory job and honestly probably couldn't tell the difference anyway... Especially the casual rider.

And those twisty intake things are crap. ( I fell for them when I was younger. http://turbonator.co.uk/) The only way to get more air into the chamber is too cool it, or force it in, or both. You can make one yourself and test it if you don't believe me. All they do is take a piece of scrap sheet metal and cut little teeth in it and bend them so it looks like it might create a vortex.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #54
RamAir

Thanks for the input guys kep all that good info and years of expiriance comin! (muahahah I will learn!)

Ok fo the record I ahve heard of engines not runnin right with a PP, and no they where not racing them so ya I agree if your gonna be pushing the motor and so on a PP will be great. If you go to get milk and back then you will just waste your time and money.

Jonathan you said about Port matching, YES I 100%, its pointless to PP something then slap it onto someyhing smoller!
One peace of edvise someone gave me that used to race, build race cars and engines and so on is (he also did it with his head when he worked on them) (side note yes a 5 angle valve job is in future works when the head be be'in PP'd) he told me make sure everything is "glass smooth!" Your valves and head! That way you get great air flow, and its much harder for carbon to stick to it and build up on it! He also said when you take your head in and its beeen cleaned up nicely and its all the head rebuilder will take a look at the head and know that whoever brought that head in means busniss and not just, ya a five angle job cuz iot sounds cool, and he wil take his time on your head and do a great job.

Ill find info that shows the cut swerls inprove airflow! Now this was just on a headed peace of pipe not a motor demanding airflow! Like I said I will be moving the intake (if I can do it well and nicely) to the front of the bike with a volacity stack right after the filter to help airflow. And what I wanted the swerly things for was to better mix the gas and air. I was even thinking of looking into some kinda small swearl pattern on the valves themselves so thta when the air was comin right off them it would spin up.

Its not to get "more air" inthe motor (thats what my ramair setup will be for) its to get the air/fuel mixing better since I will be removing all turbulance in the head before the intake valves.

THERE YA GO YOU ALL AHVE MY PLANS NOW! Go nuts with the edvise! I love learning. Again I have to look into what i just type down here. Cuz this stuff is all wants but if I find info that saiys "waste of time/money" "dont do it does not work" and so on I will change my plans! This is a wishlist and I will see what os doable and so on!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #55
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If you're going to do this, let it be done by a shop with experience. It is possible to "over-polish" , if you will, and actually wear away at the surfaces causing mating suface air leaks, which is something that you don't want.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #56
RamAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
If you're going to do this, let it be done by a shop with experience. It is possible to "over-polish" , if you will, and actually wear away at the surfaces causing mating suface air leaks, which is something that you don't want.

I will only be polishing where the air will be running into the motor and the dome, not where the valve seats or any other places like that. Ya I know when you redue that you use the sandy like stuff to set the valve into the valve seat so that it seals full. (I have also takin to years of automechanics in school cuz thats what I wanna be when I grow up! LOL) Thanks I will be consalting rebuilders and friends who have raced and built there own cars and see what they say. PLEASE keep in mind this is just for better airflow and will not be for racing or superhigh preformance but it will be a good experiance for me to partice on a smaller motor before I start PP my cars heads. And will not take like 40hours to do this, I will take my time and do it right but I will not be spending enourmouse amounts of time on this cuz its just not that worth it. I just want MORE GZ under me! :rawk:
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #57
geezer

what you want and need is more torque! have fun bra
Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #58
RamAir

About as much as you can get outta a 250! I just want more! I dont have the money for a bigger bike and I love the GZ. Its so cheap to run and all. Plus if I put enough work into it I might just keep the bike in the family! We will see. I will make sure all that I learn and do ends up on here!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #59
RamAir

One more thing I should add. I am also looking into going LED for the front and rear turn signles and the rear brakes light! It will be less drow on the electrical system, small yes but might pic me up a MPG on those long trips and so on!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #60
geezer

see thats the beauty of this bike, cheap and easy, so get in ther and tear shit up!