Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #81
mr. softie

Re: Backfiring and uneven idle

Hey Ron, check this out http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0Q...tand&_osacat=0 There are 5 switches on eBay right now, 2 are buy it now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #82
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Hey Ron, check this out http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0Q...tand&_osacat=0 There are 5 switches on eBay right now, 2 are buy it now.
I bought a few things from Pinwall Motorcycle Parts on ebay, they shipped fast, included all the hardware and the auctions were accurate as to what I was getting.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #83
roncg41677

Sweet! I'm watching them. If pushing the button in farther doesn't do it I'll go ahead and order one. Great prices too! Thanks for the link :2tup: .

Adrian, I know what you mean! I have 2 small kids. It can be hard for me to find time to work on the bike, but they love to help.
~ Matthew 6:33 ~

Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #84
roncg41677

I think I'm going to get the switch, unless this latest news rules it out.

First thing I did today was to take some vice grips and hold the switch in all the way to see if it made a difference in the bike's stalling-when-in-gear issue. No luck. Then I disconnected the switch and figured I'd try it with the switch disconnected (I was told this closed the connection :??: somehow) and at first, same thing; bike started in N, then died as soon as I put it in first. THEN the bike just simply wouldn't turn over at all. I can't even start it in neutral anymore. Did I screw something up?

At this point the next piece of equipment is a "for sale" sign :mad: .
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #85
roncg41677

And the lights are all still on and bright, so I know the battery isn't dead.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #86
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncg41677
Then I disconnected the switch and figured I'd try it with the switch disconnected (I was told this closed the connection :??: somehow) and at first, same thing; bike started in N, then died as soon as I put it in first. THEN the bike just simply wouldn't turn over at all. I can't even start it in neutral anymore. Did I screw something up?
You misunderstood something along the way. It should fail when the switch is disconnected.....in exactly the same fashion as having the side stand DOWN......I think. The failure to turn over now might indicate that another of the safety's is also bad....clutch or neutral.
What happens when you re-connect the switch ??

Edit: I think I've said this before but, at this point, it seems appropriate to repeat it:
If you continue to "tinker" with the problem, in the end you might end up spending MORE money by guessing at what part needs to be replaced than you would if you just let the shop FIX IT.

For someone who is trained, it really is a fairly simple problem to diagnose and fix.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #87
alanmcorcoran

You're gonna hear this from others, so I might as well go first - just cause the lights are on, don't mean the battery is strong enough to start it. However, it's probably not your problem. I think you have some kind of fuel problem but I'm just guessing. Did you followup on the vacuum hose stuff? At one point you said if you went to "prime" it started.

Patrick, Easy: What effect, if any, does putting the bike in gear have on fuel flow?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #88
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Patrick, Easy: What effect, if any, does putting the bike in gear have on fuel flow?
None. I want some of that stuff you are smoking !!! :poke2: :biggrin:
Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #89
roncg41677

When I re-connected the switch it still wouldn't turn over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
If you continue to "tinker" with the problem, in the end you might end up spending MORE money by guessing at what part needs to be replaced than you would if you just let the shop FIX IT.
Do you realize how difficult it is to NOT tinker :roll: . Money is scarce. A $10 switch is one thing, hauling the bike 60-70 miles (round trip) and paying a shop is another. As long as I'm not boring out a cylinder or something, and I'm not cutting wires anywhere I figure I can't do any damage. Am I the only cheap tinkerer on this board? :poke2:
Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #90
Easy Rider

Quote:
When I re-connected the switch it still wouldn't turn over.
So now there's another problem.......or maybe the stand switch wasn't the real problem to begin with. Check the kill switch. You could have bumped it by mistake OR that might be the whole problem. I know one Zuki owner (not on here, I think) who swears that the ONLY way to get his bike to start is to run the starter briefly, cycle the kill switch OFF and then back ON and then it will start. Not sure I believe that but HE certainly does.

Quote:
Am I the only cheap tinkerer on this board? :poke2:
No but you need to have a realistic view of what the odds are for a good outcome.

I think it's about 50/50. Half fix the problem relatively cheap and easy. The other half make it worse to the point that they HAVE to take it to the shop. Someone with your obvious lack of experience (sorry but true) usually ends up in the second half.

If money is really tight, you have two choices: Keep tinkering, minding the odds of success OR park it until you can save up about $100 for a shop visit.

Had you RIDDEN it to the shop before it quit completely, you would have saved the (potential) towing cost.

Only YOU can decide what is the right course for you.