Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Mags

New handlebars, won't start!

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I've already ran into a problem lol.
So I removed both controls to install new handlebars. I disassembled both the clutch and the throttle (I learned my lesson) so everything looks like it's installed properly but it wouldn't turn over. I noticed two wires were unplugged, that run to the kill switch (I'm going off of memory here) but I believe they run into the brake master cylinder? Still didn't turn over. So I swapped the wires and still nothing. I checked both my fuse boxes and they look fine. Everything turns on as well. I also looked for any loose wires and that also looks fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Return the right side to it's original state. Now go to the left side controls. There is a safety switch built into the clutch lever. The plug might be loose. It is a simple switch that closes(ON)and allows the starter to work when you start the bike. The switch works when you pull the clutch lever in. This allows the starter button to power the starter. Hope that is clear enough as I am having a dickens of a time thinking today.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
Mags

It was exactly that. I feel quite dumb. But I learned a little more today. Thank you for you assistance sir.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
It was exactly that. I feel quite dumb. But I learned a little more today. Thank you for you assistance sir.
Don't call yourself dumb, you are/were just unaware of a simple little no start situation.
By the way, welcome to the forum.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
gz4me +

Welcome to the forum Mags. Water Warriors 2 has a vast knownledge of the GZ. I was happy he was able to help you out. Thats what I love about this forum. Members come togeather to help anyone resolve a problem. Enjoy the forum and the GZ.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

[QUOTE=gz4me
Water Warrior 2 has a vast knowledge of the GZ. [/QUOTE]
I do not ! I just repeat a lot of stuff other riders have written in a variety of forums. If it wasn't for other folks informing me I wouldn't have had the chance to bail out a rider with a dead bike 40 miles from home when it wouldn't start.
Lynda's GZ was so trouble free that I didn't have to trouble shoot or push anywhere. It loved a little TLC now and again.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
Vegas Street Rider

Thumbs Up Welcome Mags

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I ride an '09 GZ and really enjoy it. It is the perfect cruiser/commuter bike, IMHO. I equipped mine with saddle bags for quick trips to the store, etc. and just recently put a 16t sprocket on. It really gives me a wider range on the gears. I am averaging 75/80 mpg. Hope you love yours as much as I do mine.

Safe riding.