Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Lane Splitting

I suppose this is one of those inflammatory topics like ATTGATT, etc. so, in the interest of providing thread fodder, I will weigh in here with my non-expert and un-asked for perspective...

1) Yes, lane splitting is dangerous. So is riding a motorcycle. If you want to be safe, watch TV.
2) If you don't live in California, deciding that lane splitting is "not worth the risk" is kind of like saying French women aren't any good in bed when you've never been to France. True, it may not be worth the risk, but it seems like it should at least be an option if you are going to have an opinion about it. My apologies if you are actually from California.
3) Although I am generally a risk adverse person (read "pussy"), and I admitttedly avoided lane splitting for the first six to nine months (hell, I avoided the freeway for the first six to nine months), I am far more likely to lane split (now) when the opportunity presents itself than not. I lane split on the freeway, on residential two laners, and backroads. I only do it when there is an excessive amount of cars and they are not moving regular like. There are two main reasons I do it: Firstly, to improve my rate of progress relative to the cars. Secondly, it's pretty darn fun. Is it risky? Yes. Is it suicide? No. I honestly don't think it is that much more risky than all of the other shit we have to contend with. A little more? yes. A lot more? No. BTW the cops do it ALL THE TIME. And they are on some pretty good size Harleys, Beemers and Hondas with fairings, and bags, (and shotguns!)
4) California has a very high percentage of motorcycle riders as compared to the rest of the country. Many of the people you encounter in cages are also riders. It is far more common for CA drivers to move over and give you space than to move in and encroach (yes, we have douchebag drivers here too, but they are the minority.)

So, as a lifelong pussy that lane splits with impunity and enjoys it, I say it IS worth the risk. Flame on!

Login or Register to Remove Ads