Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Pool_isCool

The wonderful world of Riding

I am sure most of the married folks out there deal with things to keep the other half happy. In my case my wife was getting
tired of riding behind me. Now that she has her own 2002 GZ250F2 I can't get her behind me anymore unless I pass her.
We bought her machine used it has an aftermarket Dirt Bike muffler on the the Exhaust side. Some one did a clean job
with cutting off the old muffler as you would never know it was welded as I have seen in the articles in here. It has a chrome
clamp around it. The muffler is a bit unsightly as it is Black (most dirt bikes) I will say one thing though the jetting was already
done and that little machine can and does hit 90 mph. Now we don't drive like that so it isn't very often. I personally think
it could run a bit faster but at 85 that little machine is becoming a bit unstable. It does better with my wife on it as I weight in
at 242 lbs and am 6'2" she is 5' 2" and only 125 lbs. This last Fall alone we have been up through the Green Swamp of Florida
up the back way into Brooksville and skirted the Ocala National Forest. This summer we want to hit Daytona. I have ordered
up the stock exhaust for this bike and even have an Ebay Carb coming in. I know she will loose some power but we are most
concerned with top end. As we need her to at least be able to run 70 mph. Any help or suggestions would be grateful...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: The wonderful world of Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool_isCool
even have an Ebay Carb coming in. I know she will loose some power but we are most concerned with top end. .
A totally stock bike will do 70, under most conditions......well, most of them will......even with a 16T front sprocket but it takes a LONG stretch.

My advice is to change out the muffler first and ride it for a bit. If it still runs good and your gas mileage stays up, you might want to stop there. What kind of mileage do you get ??

Welcome to the loony bin !! :biggrin:
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

I think your wife won't have too much trouble hitting 70 on the flats (with the stock carb). There are two things that will sap your speed: wind and hills. Tell her to get used to 4th gear. Mine will go close to 60-65 in 4th gear, but it sounds like it's ready to pop (My scientific Internet research indicates it isn't, but I suspect mine is not going to last long the way I ride it.)

I had super stong winds on the way home last night and just left it in 4th on the freeway. I as able to maintain 60+ despite gusts in the 50's and 60's. And I weigh 55 pounds more than your wife. And I have a windshield.

I agree with Easy. Try the muffler first and, if that works, just leave it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Pool_isCool

I appreciate the good advice. The neat thing about these machines are it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get the parts
for them. and to easy rider I would say she is still up there around 55-65 mpg because I am running around 40 to 50 on
my machine and she doesn't need a fill up as often as I do. Especially the part about getting on it I get lousy mileage if
we are rapping off the two machines side by side She is still getting fantasic mileage.