Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #41
Easy Rider

Re: Valve adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I have said before and I will say again: anyone with any mechanical ability at all would be very unlikely, in my opinion, to pay to have this job done, once they have seen it done. It's really not that hard.
YMMV! :cool:

I used to do all my own plumbing, electrical, furnace, carpentry and car/truck repairs.
It was interesting and, for a long time, I needed to save all the $$$ I could.
Now....different story. I no longer find that stuff "interesting" and, thankfully, now can afford to spend some of that money I saved over the last 50 years or so to have someone else do it.

That assumes, however, that you have a competent shop to do the work. I may change my mind when it comes to the bike because my local shop seems to be able to screw up even the simplest of tasks. Last week, they replaced a drain plug the was perfectly good and overlooked the one that was missing. About the only thing they have done right is..........adjusting the valves (OK, I'm assuming......since it has much less vibration than before, performs about the same and has no new noises.)

I found the VLX seat to be better than the GZ stock but upgraded to a Mustang anyway. It is better but not sure it's worth the price. When your butt is old and brittle, the small tank is not a drawback; it will go 2 hours between gas stops.......which is longer than my backside will.

After a short adjustment period, I find that I really like the 4 speed; much less time screwing around shifting up and down to keep it in a useable power band. About the only thing I don't like with the little Shadow is a WIDE turning radius; there are times when I need to back up to start a U turn. Did I mention it LOOKS really cool !! :roll:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #42
Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
I would like to know if your motorcycle maintenance expert sets the valves both the same.

IN. : 0.03-0.08 mm (0.001-0.003 in)..................003
EX.: 0.08-0.13 mm (0.003-0.005 in) ..................003

Some mowers use the same setting for intake and exhaust.

EASY this is where i got the "bright" idea to set them both to .003 why i did this i have no clue.. HAH!

anyways... I have the day off of tree-planting so I'm gonna "putz" around with the exhaust side and do a check on the intake valves to make sure everything is tip-top.

thanks again
Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 AM   #43
bonehead

Just the way I was taught by the old school mechs when I was starting out turning wrenches-I set mine @ .002 intake, and .004 exh. A middle of the road kind of thing. Just a little resistance when inserting the feeler guage.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #44
Canuck

thanks bonehead. i fixed it to this setting and it does run fine and idles wonderfully.