Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Let Bike sit for weeks, now seems fuel starved

I have my GZ up for sale and I'm mainly riding my other bike, bt I've tried to ride the GZ every once in a while to keep it ridable. I decided today was going to be "GZ day", I'm not real sure how long it's been, but it could be as much as a month.

The bike was a little hard to start, but once started, couldn't seem to get over the initial roughness. I had to leave the choke on full and let it warm up for a very long time before I could turn the throttle without stalling it. I debated taking it at all, but I was thinking, if I don't take it out, things will probably only get worse, so I decided to go for it. I used a bit more of the foot brake and used the throttle to keep the revs artificially high when I was slowing or stopping. Bike ran roughly al the way to work, stalled a couple of times I let off the throttle. At full throttle, I was able to get it up to 55 max, but it seemed to be starved for gas.

When I first got it started, with the choke full on, the engine would have high revs for just a few seconds and then drop to a rough, uneven idle. It almost seemed like the plug wasn't firing every time. I tried taking the choke down, but it really had trouble with less or no choke. (I also messed with the choke when underway, to see if it would carburate better at speed withno choke (couldn't really tell one way or the other - didn't seem to have more power with the choke off, but when it is going at high revs, it at least wouldn't stall.)

I dumped a bit of carb cleaner in it (had close to a full tank of gas) just for fun.

Anybody got any suggestions that a mechanical novice could try? Should I just try to ride it out? I did make it to work. Now I got to make it back home...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Let Bike sit for weeks, now seems fuel starved

That happens to mine too when I neglect to ride it for a week or so. Hard to start and runs like shit for the first few miles.

I'm sure it's normal, as the gas in the carb gets a little thick and gums up the carb slightly. Run the crap out of her for 10 or 20 miles and she'll probably (?) run like she always did.

If that doesn't clear it up, you could change the spark plug. You've already done the carb cleaner.

I try to ride mine at least weekly. You probably should too.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
, bt I've tried to ride the GZ every once in a while to keep it ridable.

I dumped a bit of carb cleaner in it (had close to a full tank of gas) just for fun.
Yes, I think you allowed the carb to get gunked up.

How often is "every once in a while" ??......as in, how long has it been since you filled up the gas tank ?

And how much is "a bit" and what brand of cleaner was it.

It sounds like you need a HEAVY dose of a GOOD cleaner and then ride it more than a few miles......maybe a couple of days in a row.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

I didn't keep good records and I don't trust my memory, but it's likely there were some three to four week gaps in between my last two rides. I still have gas in it from a few months ago, maybe three months ago.

I got home with it. It started just a tad easier, but it was running for crap all the way home, stalled the few times I tried to ease off on the throttle. I found leaving the choke on about two thirds was best for idling (which is WAY more than I usually have it on, [typically I don't have it on at all after the first few minutes.]

The carb cleaner was Seafoam. I'm not sure how much I dumped in, less than half a can - maybe 6-8oz?

Sarris - given you have a similar situation with the two bikes - how much distance (or time) would you say is a decent interval to give it before I take it to the shop? Also, is letting it idle as good as riding it?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Sarris

I'd probably change the plug and try to ride 20 to 30 miles on consecutive days until it clears up. It more than likely will after a few rides. As far as the Seafoam goes, you may have added too much and that could be contributing to the poor running. If it doesn't clear up after a few rides, you may want to drain the tank, refuel, and add some Stabil brand gasoline stabilizer to avoid the gum up problem in the future. After that a couple of rides should surely clear it up.

Being air cooled, I wouldn't let it just sit and idle 'cause it'll probably overheat. Like I said above, I try to ride mine at least every week or so for at least 10 or 20 miles. I also keep it on the trickle charger as well.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Thanks. I'll check back in in a week and let you know how it went.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
burkbuilds

If your gas has ethanol in it and it's 2-3 months old, drain it out and dispose of it properly, the ethanol causes the gas to deteriorate much more quickly than gas without it does. Check the label on the fuel stabilizer's before you add it to your new gas some of them are not compatible with gas that has ethanol in it. If you can find a station that does not have ethanol in the gas I'd recommend buying it there.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
If your gas has ethanol in it and it's 2-3 months old, drain it out and dispose of it properly,
:plus1:

Or maybe +3; I am the third vote for draining the tank......after seeing what it does on another ride or two.

The new Stabil on the shelf now says it is reformulated for Gasohol but I wouldn't put that in until you get it running good again AND I wouldn't mix it with Seafoam.

Seafoam is actually a pretty good stabilizer itself but you REALLY should RTFM; I think the recommendation is 1 OZ per gallon and you might have 2-3X the recommended amount in there.

AND finally, if the Seafoam doesn't do the trick, my next step would be to drain, refil and try some Berryman's B12 Chemtool or Original Gumout. Both are better heavy duty cleaners than Seafoam.

Or back to the shop is always an option.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Back in business

Thanks guys.

I poured the remaining ounce or so I had left in my Seafoam can into the tank and hit Santiago Canyon. It started up roughly again this morning and was balky again as I headed out. Had to leave the choke on about 4/5's just to get it out of the driveway. However, about nine miles later, I stopped at a light and it was idling much more evenly and at a higher RPM. I took the choke off and it didn't stall. I did another 18 miles to the Starbucks past Cook's Canyon. When I parked it for a doppio it was back to it's old self, purring like a kitty, quiet, even, no choke - very nice. Put in about a gallon (even with all the idling, warmup and choke full on crap I'm apparently still getting 65 mpg or better!) and rode it back 27 miles. I'm thinking about putting on a saddlbagfor my lappie so it's easier to ride it to work.

So I don't know if it wa the carb cleaner, ir I just had to give it some more time, but basically, I am back in busness and the bike is suitable for demoing to a prospective buyer again.

Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
Sarris

I'm glad it was a cheap fix for you. Now get your ass on it once a week for 10 miles or so and all will remain OK.

:lol: :neener: :lol: :neener: