Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Blitzburgh7sb

Clutch Adjustment

My clutch does not engage until the lever is almost completely released. It did have slack in the cable and I adjusted it to within spec which makes it smoother on release. But the problem still remains as it is diffucult to keep from riding the clutch when it releases at the end. From what I have read there is no other clutch adjustments that I can make??? If so, what is the end game for fixing this? Clutch rebuild??

PS I know just enough to be dangerous, but enjoy learning how to fix things myself. With this forums help that is.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Clutch Adjustment

I sounds like you may have the clutch adjusted wrong.You should about 9/16th free play at the end of the lever.About the thickness of a nickel in at the pivot between the lever and the mount.
:cool:

Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Blitzburgh7sb

Yes, you were right Blaine. There was more slack that I thought was tension. Using the nickel helped me to "feel" the difference by putting the nickel in the gap and then contracting the lever.
Thanks. Although the adjustment is most of the way out now. I assume that this means the cable has stretched with age and will need replacing soon? Thanks for your help. :2tup:

Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh7sb
Yes, you were right Blaine. There was more slack that I thought was tension. Using the nickel helped me to "feel" the difference by putting the nickel in the gap and then contracting the lever.
Thanks. Although the adjustment is most of the way out now. I assume that this means the cable has stretched with age and will need replacing soon? Thanks for your help. :2tup:
Glad I could help.You are right,the cable has stretched to the point of replacement.Just a word of caution,replace it now,as it will break without warning leaving you stranded and cursing.
:cuss:

Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Blitzburgh7sb

Thats good advice that I will heed. Too bad.... I just ordered new gaskets for the valve covers from Bike Bandit (one was leaking), shipping was almost as much as the 2 sets I bought for my two bikes. But six bucks shipping beats a breakdown any day.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh7sb
I assume that this means the cable has stretched with age and will need replacing soon?
Don't forget that you can adjust the cable length at the engine end of it. If it's stretched, slacken the nut & bolt at the engine end, pull the excess cable through, & tighten up again. :2tup:
Old 02-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Viirin

My cable snapped on me a couple of days ago - if you get it replaced it probably won't bite at the same place it used to
Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
cayuse

OK , I'm looking at my clutch cable at each end and I can see no signs of rust, fraying, kinking, or anything worn. Where do these things break, and is there any warning? I would have guessed they would break somewhere visible and so someone paying attention would see the signs coming. I'm riding a 5-year-old bike with 10000km under it. Should I just change it out? I don't want to get stuck out in the boonies.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 02-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
blaine

They usually show wear at the pivot point of the clutch lever.If cable shows no signs of fraying,is clean & lubricated,it should be fine.If adjuster is most of the way out,it is time for replacement,as cable is stretched and can snap without warning.
:cool:

Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
If adjuster is most of the way out,it is time for replacement,as cable is stretched and can snap without warning.
Mmmmmm, can't say as how I agree 100% with that. My Geezer has nearly twice as many miles (kilometers) as his & the clutch feels fine. Every new cable will stretch with wear, & I had to take up the slack in my clutch cable within a few months of buying the bike. If the previous owner never bothered doing this, then this might be how his problem occurred. I still maintain that if a visual check shows no problems, & the cable is well lubricated, taking up the slack at the engine end should be the first step.