Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
afflo

Soon to be new rider.

Hello everyone.

I posted a similar introduction in the Rebel250.com board, with similar questions.

I'm a soon-to-be first time rider, and am looking at a GZ250, V Star/Virago 250, or possibly Rebel as a first bike. I do have a ton of questions about the bikes though.

Initially, I considered buying a high mileage scooter for the cheap mileage from driving between my home and work (about 10 miles). However, after giving it more thought (and surprising at the suggestion of my very awesome wife), I decided that I'd rather have a real motorcycle.

Being that I'm a married man with kids, I'm a bit less of an adrenaline junky than the typical person my age (mid 20's), which may come with being married for 6 years and having two kids. I'm not buying anything until I complete the MSF course and get my operators endorsement on my license. I'm definitely more interested in a cruiser than a sportbike. I'm on a waitlist for the course, hoping to get in during the next month or two, and having to come to grips with my general lack of patience.

I'm looking at a 250 class for several reasons.

1. My father in law, the stereotypical old biker dude, said he wouldn't recommend anything over 250-300 cc's as a first bike.

2. The price point. If possible, I'd like to purchase something new rather than used, simply so that I'd know how it had been treated and maintained. I'm one of those meticulous car owners that wants to know that a vehicle I'm laying down cash for has not been abused. Also, on the price point, I'm not looking to spend over 4K at the absolute max. I don't want to have to finance a bike (Between my wife and I, we already have two car payments.)

4. Economy. As stated before, I was considering a scooter, and with the local gas a $4.40/gallon, it would make a nice alternative to my Element. I'm not really a go fast person in general, and despite being warned of their underpowered nature, the engines in my 4-cyl S10 and 4-cyl Wrangler never bothered me.

Now, the concerns:

1. I'm 6'1, with a 33" inseam, roughly 190 lbs. Size 12 shoes. I want to make sure that the GZ250/Virago/Rebel will be large enough that I'll enjoy riding it. How does the GZ compare to the others in the comfort for taller riders department? In looking at them side by side in a showroom, the GZ appeared to have more distance between the seat and pegs than a V-Star 250.

2. I've often heard that people "outgrow" their 250's very quickly. That makes me worry that I might sink money into a new Rebel and become disenchanted with it, only to find that I can only trade up by taking a depreciation loss. It does seem like a strange thing to tell people though. I don't think anyone ever suggested that I would be tired of my Civic after 6 months, and want to move up to an Impala or F150.

3. Would it be more worthwhile to look into a used bike, perhaps an S40 or a VLX if I could find one at a good price? Here, the desire for something new comes in again. I'm not very mechanically inclined, and don't want to have a "project" that will soak up my time looking for gremlins. I''m spoiled on Honda cars... I expect things to work if treated with care. I'd rather have a 250 that I ride for a few years and buy something bigger later on. I also want to make sure, as stated before that I stretch my $4.40 gallons of gas.

4. How bad is the power on hills. I grew up in Tallahassee, which is more or less flat. Now, living on the central California coast (Monterey area), I see what actual hills are. Most hills would be in city streets... would I have issues, say, on the final part of my commute, a 400 foot climb over the course of approximately 1 mile, the steepest part of which climbs from 320 to 405 feet in around 1/10 of a mile. This is all at low speeds (speed limit 25), but I want to make sure that I'm not going to end up as a hood ornament on a closely following SUV.

That hill, BTW, is why bicycling to work is not even an option!

Also, just opinions here: What are the advantages and disadvantages of a GZ250 vs. a Honda Rebel, Yamaha Vstar 250, and even the Hyosung Aquila GV250 (also caught my eye, though I'm wary of something that has an almost ethereal dealer network)

Login or Register to Remove Ads