Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
clofan

Fixed it! Or at least, well on the way.

Unclogged the oil passageway, and used some JB Weld to patch it:

New bolts, WITH blue threadlocker:

My day's 'Workstation':

I buttoned it back up, and it started up! Killed it because I need to 1) charge the battery, 2) change the oil, and 3) let the weld cure. So, hopefully tomorrow I'll be riding!.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by clofan; 03-15-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
raul10141964

raid for a day an do anoder oil change an filter to remove any metal shavings
Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
clofan

2001 Suzuki GZ250 - idling after fix:

As you can see, I got it back to running. I got new tires on it a few days ago, so yesterday I ran it for a bit and drained the oil yesterday, and I decided to check on my fix while I was at it. My JB Weld didn't hold, so today I'm going to pull it off again and try again with some Quicksteel. Once I get that patched up, I'll be able to put oil back in and get it back together. Closer every day!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clofan View Post
2001 Suzuki GZ250 - idling after fix:

As you can see, I got it back to running. I got new tires on it a few days ago, so yesterday I ran it for a bit and drained the oil yesterday, and I decided to check on my fix while I was at it. My JB Weld didn't hold, so today I'm going to pull it off again and try again with some Quicksteel. Once I get that patched up, I'll be able to put oil back in and get it back together. Closer every day!
Just a suggestion. Do not start the bike until the Quicksteel is fully cured.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
mainlinecoffee

Congratulations on getting it running! Even if it is leaking a bit that's progress and awesome at that. Just a thought,can you use a wad of quick steel than run a very short bolt in it or Something to grab in to the metal?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinecoffee View Post
Congratulations on getting it running! Even if it is leaking a bit that's progress and awesome at that. Just a thought,can you use a wad of quick steel than run a very short bolt in it or Something to grab in to the metal?
The problem is trying to patch a hole rather than stripped threads. But I do like the way you think. Tried that very same thing years ago on something and it didn't go too well. Seems the quicksteel hardened before the bolt was tightened down properly.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #17
clofan

Oh yeah, definitely waited until it cured this time. Quiksteel worked great for this.. its malleable nature allowed me to form the shape I wanted before pressing it into place. I let it harden for a few hours, checked it, and buttoned her back up. Put fresh oil in, and it started perfectly and is running strong! Actually only ran it for a few seconds last night, no leaks as of this morning. I plan to ride it for 50-100 miles then change the oil again. I'll check my weld at that time, and if we're all good then it will be ready for riding!

Last edited by clofan; 03-27-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Sounds good Clofan. Hopefully you will have no more worries for a long time and have a lot of saddle time this year.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #19
JohnC

Is there oil pressure in that passage? If so, I doubt any cold patch is going to hold. Also, once it lets go there goes your oil pressure. If, OTOH, it's a drain, then your fix may be adequate.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #20
clofan

I've put 150 miles on it since the fix, and haven't had any problems. JohnC, I'm not sure if it's a pressure conduit. I will be changing the oil again soon and will re-check my fix then, and if we're still good, I'm calling it solid.