Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
5th_bike

Re: Chain Binding

My chain has always had that, that it's tighter and looser depending on the position of the wheel. I think that the rear sprocket is not perfectly symmetric, or not perfectly placed, that's what you get then.

That is also why you should be careful when tightening your chain, and tighten it at its tightest position.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
My chain has always had that, that it's tighter and looser depending on the position of the wheel. I think that the rear sprocket is not perfectly symmetric, or not perfectly placed, that's what you get then.

That is also why you should be careful when tightening your chain, and tighten it at its tightest position.
New bikes have the same ailment. There will always be a majority of bikes with a loose/tight chain syndrome. Just a fact of life with motorcycles. As suggested, find the tightest position and then do the measuring and adjusting. It is a PITA but worth it.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
blaine

[quote=Water Warrior]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "5th_bike":227yajtc

New bikes have the same ailment. There will always be a majority of bikes with a loose/tight chain syndrome. Just a fact of life with motorcycles. As suggested, find the tightest position and then do the measuring and adjusting. It is a PITA but worth it.[/quote:227yajtc]

:plus1: :plus1:

Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Coder

Follow up to chain binding for what its worth. I replaced the chain and the binding problem went away. Visual inspection of old chain didn't reveal anything remarkable. Chain replacement was simple enough for a guy with basic mechanical skills. Used a bolt cutter on old chain. New chain using link installed easily. Both sprockets were in fair to good condition. Chain noise still seems a bit louder than I was expecting but maybe this is normal.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
dentheman

Putting a new chain on used sprockets will generate some noise until they 'wear' into each other, even if the sprockets are serviceable. From my bicycling experience. But are you sure your sprockets are still good? Chain and sprockets share the wear.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Follow up to chain binding for what its worth. I replaced the chain and the binding problem went away. Visual inspection of old chain didn't reveal anything remarkable. Chain replacement was simple enough for a guy with basic mechanical skills. Used a bolt cutter on old chain. New chain using link installed easily. Both sprockets were in fair to good condition. Chain noise still seems a bit louder than I was expecting but maybe this is normal.

The noise will go away in a few days.I replaced my chain and it was noisy for a few days till everything mated up.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Rookie Rider

does it matter what brand chain to buy ? and can i buy a red chain being i have a red bike as long as the chain says #520 with 110 links ? should it say it comes with a master link too ?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
does it matter what brand chain to buy ? and can i buy a red chain being i have a red bike as long as the chain says #520 with 110 links ? should it say it comes with a master link too ?

How much mechanical stuff do you do yourself. Getting the link set on a motorcycle is much more important than it is on a bicycle, for example. (I realized that might sound like a back handed insult and that's not what I mean at all.) Just make sure you have the right tools to get this done.

People with much more experience have put a chain on on their own only to be surprised at speed by what happens if that master pops.

You can get one of those red chains but they are usually just for show or they are fancified moto-cross chains. It will probably work. But I would feel better with just a good old fashioned factory chain.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Chains are something I don't like to mess with. My local Yamaha dealer does the job for me. He has the tools and experience. He also has the shop which is a far cry from my dark underground Bat Cave for working. Twice now I have replaced the rear sprocket myself and then ridden to the shop where he cuts off the old chain, installs a new front sprocket and the new chain. Works for me and my hands stay reasonably clean.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
Rookie Rider

i think i can do it myself, but theres always that feeling of what if i run into a problem. and i only have your basic tools. i used to work in a machine shop and taking chains off, cutting links and putting chains on motors were part of my job. but they were much smaller chains.