Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Badbob

H4 SilverStar Headlight

In June 2006 I installed one of these in my 2005 GZ250. I was going on a long trip and got the idea that I should know how to change the bulbs on my bike before I had to change one on the side of the road in the dark. I also wanted spares. I got A SilverStar headlight bulb because it was supposed to be brighter and it used less power which could not be a bad thing. It was noticeably brighter and I was was well pleased with it until it died a few days ago. It only lasted a bit over 3000 miles the stock bulb was still good at around 8000 miles. When I went to get a replacement the only one I could find was $32. The first one I got was less than $20. In the same store regular H4 headlight bulbs were available in a package of two for $16. No more SilverStars for me. Not unless the price comes way down. Yes they are brighter but cost and durability count for something.

Something I noticed about the bulb pricing for H4 bulbs. If the bulb has the words motorcycle or ATV on the package it costs more. Sometimes a lot more. These are the same bulbs as sold for cars.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Yes i noticed that too with the 9004 bulbs between motorcycle and car.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Badbob

The tail turn signal and brake light bulbs are also the same as autos use.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Taurusx2

I have looked at several H4 bulbs in the stores. If you squint when you look in the packages they are all marked with the same designations. I have a spec section in the back of my catalog at work. An automotive 9003 is the same bulb! I use a Cool Blue from I believe, Sylvania. They work great in my Focus, so I figured I give a shot. The light is not blue but a nice white. It definitely lights up street signs and road markings much better. It is also a lot less expensive than Silverstars.