Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

I would think a good rule of thumb would be to charge any new battery. Regardless of whether it is sealed, unsealed that needs acid filling or even a gel battery. Always use an appropriate bike charger over night for best results.

Alantf would likely agree but I do stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #12
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Be sure to use an appropriate charger for a motorcycle battery (.75 amps). Do NOT use a car charger or you will fry your battery. We just recently gave the same advice to another new member. Car chargers are a big NO NO.
No more than 2 amps max over night.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 AM   #13
alantf

Your new battery will appreciate a LONG, SLOW charge to help it on its way. 2amps is fine, but 0.75 amps is even better. A battery tender will usually give this low charge, and it also will not let the battery overcharge.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
Pmhearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Your new battery will appreciate a LONG, SLOW charge to help it on its way. 2amps is fine, but 0.75 amps is even better. A battery tender will usually give this low charge, and it also will not let the battery overcharge.

So, are the other syptoms i described(starting the brighten up the light then a quick fade to nothing) indicitive of a battery that needs a charge?

When is it time to suspect the stator or rec?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #15
blaine

Yes........Or a bad connection a battery.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
Yes........Or a bad connection a battery.
Yup, keep it simple with checks for bad connections and corrosion. You just may have a poor ground that needs cleaning up. Don't go throwing $ into parts that may not be needed. Check out the wiring harness for hidden corrosion that is not noticeable because it is covered up.

A few years back a fellow Vstrom rider had an intermittaint miss one one cylinder. Service shops and tests were of no help. Finally after a few months he decided to really dig into the wiring harness. Guess what? Corrosion that was well hidden and should never have occurred in a well insulated and protected area of the harness. Stuff happens.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
Pmhearns

Ok, well if the new battery was about 12.3v when new, then it died. (Ok wasnt precharged), i chedked the battery last night, it was low like 3.2 volts... so i push started it last night adter a few minutes of running, i checked the battery and it said like 8.6v. I turnee it off and it stayed the same... still no where enough volts to even get the starter to turn... is this a sign of a good charging system trying to charge a dead battery? And if so, why would the battery die in the first place if it was at +12v from the start?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #18
blaine

Sounds like charging system is fine.....A fully charged battery should read near 12.6.......If you charging system is working properly should read about 14.2 when engine is revved & about 13 at idle.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #19
Vegas Street Rider

Could still be a bad battery. I wouldn't think it would charge up to the 8.6v level that quickly if your charging system wasn't working. Have you put it on the proper charger to fully charge the battery, even though you didn't to begin with? If you did charge it, did you use the right charger or an automotive charger? Just trying to get clarification and the sequence in which everything was done. Hope I am not annoying you.

p.s. Have it tested where you bought and that should solve whether it is bad or not.

Last edited by Vegas Street Rider; 03-09-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added postscript.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
Pmhearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Could still be a bad battery. I wouldn't think it would charge up to the 8.6v level that quickly if your charging system wasn't working. Have you put it on the proper charger to fully charge the battery, even though you didn't to begin with? If you did charge it, did you use the right charger or an automotive charger? Just trying to get clarification and the sequence in which everything was done. Hope I am not annoying you.

p.s. Have it tested where you bought and that should solve whether it is bad or not.
Annoy me? Not at all, lol. I feel like im asking the same queation over and over. Son boight a sealed agv battery from batteries plus. We assumed, since its sealed, it would t need a charge, needless to say, we did not charge it. It ran and started for several days while we troubleshot the carb and headgasket issues. Once we got it back together, battery totally dead. Barely enough power to turn on headlight. Push started, after a few minutes, battery back to 8.8v then it droped again.