Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
BusyWeb

Sequoia National Park

Hi, here is this weekend ride to share with you.

Sequoia National Park.
Total Distance: 560 miles
Time: 14 hours 30 minutes

One thing...
Never ride down out from Sequoia Park at NIGHT....
ha ha ha......

Today; Sunday, finally I got some basic camping stuffs from REI.
From next week, I may go to camping .. (if weather condition is helping out)
So that I don't have to ride at night and enjoy some more natures.

Tent, basic Stove (pocket size ha ha ha), sleeping bag, and etc .......
All can be fit in my rear bag and/or saddle bag.
I had to buy some expensive(for me) tent which is really small when packed.
And I can put it in my rear back; and really light weight.

Not a good quality photos, but here is the photos to share.

Panoaram Slide Link
http://picasaweb.google.com/busyweb/Seq ... #slideshow

[picasa=busyweb:1bx3wdkd]5326634298998379921[/picasa:1bx3wdkd]

Picasa Album Link
http://picasaweb.google.com/busyweb/Seq ... #slideshow

Picasa Slide Show
[picasa=busyweb:1bx3wdkd]5326633313164539345[/picasa:1bx3wdkd]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
mr. softie

Re: Sequoia National Park

Busy, you are a mile munchin' maniac!! :2tup:

Thanks a million for taking the time and effort to document your many rides with your excellent pics.

Good luck with your camping. What tent/stove/sleeping bag/mat are you using?

I visited Sequoia National Park back in the summer of 1969, it has been a while. I was very impressed, I named my first born daughter Sequoia. (ok so I was a hippy!) :lol:
Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Moedad

Woo-hoo, Busy! Awesome ride! Looks like you left Sequoia at sunset and rode all the way back after dark. That is a heck of a winding road coming back down to Three Rivers. At least you missed the worst of the heat while you were in the mountiains I hope. It was SIZZLIN' this weekend, wasn't it? I'm looking forward to your camping trip reports. What sleeping bag and tent and stove, etc. did you get?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
adrianinflorida

It's always amazing to me to fly into places like Salt Lake City, Fontana, Denver, etc, and see snow up in the mountains during what is spring, everywhere else.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Good luck with your camping. What tent/stove/sleeping bag/mat are you using?I visited Sequoia National Park back in the summer of 1969, it has been a while. I was very impressed, I named my first born daughter Sequoia. (ok so I was a hippy!) :lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
That is a heck of a winding road coming back down to Three Rivers. At least you missed the worst of the heat while you were in the mountiains I hope. It was SIZZLIN' this weekend, wasn't it? I'm looking forward to your camping trip reports. What sleeping bag and tent and stove, etc. did you get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
and see snow up in the mountains during what is spring, everywhere else.
Hi, Mr..
On my report, "ha ha ha" meant "I was scared a lot....." ha ha ha.
Thanks that I could finished safely at the Sequoia Park road down.
The worst part was that I could not see or guess just behind curve in front of me.
About 15-20 miles down with lowest gear (1st and 2nd gears), it took more than over an hour, i guess.
You guess what it was....hweeeee.
But weather was not cold or hot at night, it helped some.

I attached my basic camping gears photo I took moments ago.
I might have some trial-error on this, but I'll try it for the good.... ha ha ha
I'm going to start with warming processed-food, no cooking yet.
And try it out as simple as possible, hope goes well...

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Moedad

Looks good! Those MSR Pocket Rockets are great little stoves for what you want to do. If you plan on camping in the mountains a lot, you might want to think about getting a warmer sleeping bag, something in the 40 degree or even 30 degree range, but for lower elevations, or even mountains in the summer, you should be able to survive with the one you've got. Also one of the ultralight Thermarest self-inflating pads would be something to think about. One more suggestion, ditch the little wire tent stakes that came with your T1 tent and get some of those big nail-type steel tent stakes. Trying to drive those little stakes that come with the tent into the ground is an exercize in futility in many campgrounds. But for a guy who curls up on the ground behind a gas station, the gear you've got will be like sleeping at the Ritz.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Looks good! Those MSR Pocket Rockets are great little stoves for what you want to do. If you plan on camping in the mountains a lot, you might want to think about getting a warmer sleeping bag, something in the 40 degree or even 30 degree range, but for lower elevations, or even mountains in the summer, you should be able to survive with the one you've got. Also one of the ultralight Thermarest self-inflating pads would be something to think about. One more suggestion, ditch the little wire tent stakes that came with your T1 tent and get some of those big nail-type steel tent stakes. Trying to drive those little stakes that come with the tent into the ground is an exercize in futility in many campgrounds. But for a guy who curls up on the ground behind a gas station, the gear you've got will be like sleeping at the Ritz.
Thanks a lot, Mr. Moedad.

I was looking for the smaller mat, but couldn't find at the stores where I at.
The blue one that I bought is little bigger than the my rear-bag can hold.....
I may have to cut and carry some dino-tape and use when needed... ha ha ha???
Sleeping bag........I may need warmer one... um, but it will get bigggger size....
Couple of liner or extra clothing may helpful???
Stakes..... as you adviced, let me get some bigger and stronger ones.
Whatelse I may need?
Folderable chair >>> too big to carry on my current bike system
Comfortable shoes for the time at night>>>
Lantern >>> battery powered??
Some couple of more bunge-code or net...
Bug-repellent >>>
and etc...
Ha ha ha... it's getting bigger and more.....
Then, where can my personal stuffs be settled on the bike? :??:
And water, snacks, or foods..... ha ha ha
May need to put some extra luggage-bag? or Tank-bag??? :??:
Let me start off with simple setup first, just a or couple of nights.....

Thanks again for the advice..... :roll:
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
mr. softie

Keep it simple Busy, less is more. I once toured for 4 months straight with no money, a siphon hose, 1 pair of jeans, a t-shirt, a leather jacket, two pairs of socks (gotta take care of the feet!), an army poncho and a wool blanket, and a wide eyed sense of adventure. Carried what I wasn't wearing in a messenger bag strapped to the pillion. Food was hunted and gathered from the back doors of restaurants around closing time, or picked from trees along the road.

I now use a Hennesy Hammock and a K-mart sleeping bag, and carry money (while I still have some at least), a tiny peak1 stove and fuel canister, a tablespoon and a 1 quart nonstick saucepan to heat coffee/soup etc. I use a truck sized windshield sun shade as a pad (just need it for insulation with the hammock). I also carry water and food to last 2 days. I wear/carry 2 t-shirts, two pair underwear, 4 pairs of socks( still gotta take care of the feet!), 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts/swim trunks, a towel, some bio-degradable camp soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste, bug repellent (deet), small first aid kit, a Tracphone, a digital camera, a pair of boat shoes to wear around camp, a disposable rain poncho, an !umbrella!, a Bic lighter, helmet, 1 pair each warm/cold weather gloves, my 1 pc riding suit and/or jacket, depending on the weather, and a wide eyed sense that I forgot something! I have the luxury of hard saddlebags, storage in the fairing, and a top box. I also use a BIG tank bag, very handy! Here is a pic of my rig fully loaded. (That's my one pc riding suit bundled on the seat)

I am heading to Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina this Thursday. 1500 miles RT.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Keep it simple Busy, less is more. I once toured for 4 months straight with no money, a siphon hose, 1 pair of jeans, a t-shirt, a leather jacket, two pairs of socks (gotta take care of the feet!), an army poncho and a wool blanket, and a wide eyed sense of adventure. Carried what I wasn't wearing in a messenger bag strapped to the pillion. Food was hunted and gathered from the back doors of restaurants around closing time, or picked from trees along the road.

I now use a Hennesy Hammock and a K-mart sleeping bag, and carry money (while I still have some at least), a tiny peak1 stove and fuel canister, a tablespoon and a 1 quart nonstick saucepan to heat coffee/soup etc. I use a truck sized windshield sun shade as a pad (just need it for insulation with the hammock). I also carry water and food to last 2 days. I wear/carry 2 t-shirts, two pair underwear, 4 pairs of socks( still gotta take care of the feet!), 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts/swim trunks, a towel, some bio-degradable camp soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste, bug repellent (deet), small first aid kit, a Tracphone, a digital camera, a pair of boat shoes to wear around camp, a disposable rain poncho, an !umbrella!, a Bic lighter, helmet, 1 pair each warm/cold weather gloves, my 1 pc riding suit and/or jacket, depending on the weather, and a wide eyed sense that I forgot something! I have the luxury of hard saddlebags, storage in the fairing, and a top box. I also use a BIG tank bag, very handy! Here is a pic of my rig fully loaded. (That's my one pc riding suit bundled on the seat)

I am heading to Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina this Thursday. 1500 miles RT.
Thanks and thanks Mr. Softie !!!
There is a phrase(quote) on my birth country.
"Listen to the Senior's Words!"
I really appreciate most of them.
And found good advice/tip from your comments too.
Many of them that I missed to prepare; like soap, tooth brush, umbrealla, and so on..

By the way, I admire that how you have packed all the gears O_o O_o
Um, I may need long way to get experienced.....ha ha ha..
I hope that you have nice and safe ride and touring!!! :roll:
Old 04-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb
Sleeping bag........I may need warmer one... um, but it will get bigggger size....
Naw, you can get a warmer bag that won't take up any more room than the fleece bag you have. It'll just cost you more money. But you'll be okay with the fleece most of the year. Probably.