Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: 8000 miles

Prior to retirement I worked in water treatment plants for 25 years. Wasn't the best idea but it had decent benefits and a pension plan. 31.5 years into the plan overall. 1998 the future took a turn for the worse(I thought), lost my home, wife left later on and I became an apartment dweller closer to work. Life eventually became less hectic and I started to like myself again. Don't do much since retiring because I don't have as much to take care of on a daily basis. Lynda and I joined up after retirement when I moved here to the west coast.
Dishes, laundry and shopping are enough to keep me busy. Lynda still works so my days are almost all Saturdays.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
rmartin

Didn't ride the atv today, but went on a 60 mile motorcycle ride. I had to take some parts down to the combine and help put them on.

The weather here in Illinois has changed, we were sweating last week, and now our sweat is changing to ice. Not quite, but getting close. We had an overnight low of 37.

It was about 50 when I took the parts down to the combine. I rode 30 for the first 3 miles adjusting to the colder temps. I speeded up some, and by the time I was about half way there I was going 55. It is taking some adjusting to getting used to 90+ down to these 40's and 50 lows. Yesterday's high didn't even make 70.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
mrlmd1

Spam gone. Deleted it, there's a few more on here I'll get.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

61 F here with partial cloud cover. And a rainbow for some strange reason. :??:
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
rmartin

Well, I did it this time. I was going to go for a ride as I got off before dark tonight. Got on the GZ, and it would not start. Battery totally dead. Who ever rode it to wrk today, forgot to shut the key off.

It is on charge at work, and I took the atv home, 200 yards across the road, Hopped on the TW200 and went for a ride on it instead. Had just as much fun, but did a different type of ride.

Darn people that ride the GZ (me) that did not turn the key off.

Hope the battery comes out ok.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin
Well, I did it this time. I was going to go for a ride as I got off before dark tonight. Got on the GZ, and it would not start. Battery totally dead. Who ever rode it to wrk today, forgot to shut the key off.

It is on charge at work

Darn people that ride the GZ (me) that did not turn the key off.

Hope the battery comes out ok.
I hope that you are charging it at no more than 2 amps. :??:

Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
rmartin

I have it on 10 amps for a few minutes to get it started, and then on a 750 mil-amp charge. That seemed to give it a boost to start charging. I had it on the 750 for several hours, and the headlight would not glow at all. Now it lights up, and will see how it is tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I hope that you are charging it at no more than 2 amps.
I know we've always said not to exceed 2A, but, just out of curiosity, I checked the manual. It states, "0.7A for 5 to 10 hours, or 3A for 1 hour. Be careful not to permit the charging current to exceed 3A at any time." Wonder why we've all come up with 2A?

Hope your 10A hasn't damaged the battery.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I hope that you are charging it at no more than 2 amps.
I know we've always said not to exceed 2A, but, just out of curiosity, I checked the manual. It states, "0.7A for 5 to 10 hours, or 3A for 1 hour. Be careful not to permit the charging current to exceed 3A at any time." Wonder why we've all come up with 2A?

Hope your 10A hasn't damaged the battery.
I have a 2 amp charger. I have never seen a 3 amp charger. And just maybe we are being cautious with a 2 amp rule. Why cook a good battery.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #20
rmartin

Well the 10 amps for 45 min., did the trick. After the 45 minutes I trickled at 750 milamps for 12 hours. Fired right up onits own, and is still starting. It has been a day or two now. Lost track of time as I put in a couple long days helping a farmer.

Had to switch to the dual sport as I had to ride farm fields on errands. We are moving away from the base farm, so I wil be back on the GZ tomorrow. Will know in the morning if it starts. Supposed to be around 44 degrees, so that shuld be a good test on the battery.

I think all the 2am charges I have or the neighbor has in on the frinze, none look like they worked, that is one of the reason for the 10 amps for 45 minutes.