Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 04-08-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Youtube is scary.

I sometimes spend time watching Youtube motorcycle accidents and motor vehicle accidents. The carnage and blood baths on the roads are scary to say the least. Most are avoidable and many are just caused by too much speed and lack of attention to the surroundings. Riders never win in a confrontation with anything bigger than gum wrapper.
Alway know what is near you and look for an escape route just in case things get hairy or crowded. Use your mirrors all the time and be aware that you are basically invisible to most other folks on the street. That includes pedestrians with a cell phone growing out of their ear. A large number of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents. Motorcycle training would reduce these numbers a great deal. Just goofing around on a clear open hiway can hurt you big time. A rider was videoed having a single vehicle crash when he rode over an empty pop can. It was really funny but tragic at the same time. The front wheel hit the pop can in the middle and the ends wrapped around the tire, travelled up to the forks and jammed the wheel. Instant Stoppie and instant get off. Yup, that easy and simple to get hurt big time.
Be safe out there guys and gals. Riding season is just getting into full swing and you don't want to spend the rest of it healing from a get off.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I haven't owned a bike in a couple of years now, but I'm still very aware of the motorcycling world.

A few days ago, on the way home from work, I passed an accident involving a bike. It was obvious that the car involved turned left right in front of the oncoming bike. It's an open and clear intersection and there is no reason that this car could not have seen the bike coming except for the motorcycle-blindness that a lot drivers seem to deal with.

I found out later that the gentleman passed on the way to the hospital. It was around 7:30 and I've seen him on his bike several times. After a week of raining, I imagine he was just going for an evening ride or going to grab something from the store.

It's terrible.

Thanks, WW, for the reminder to not take riding for granted and to remember all of the safety tips before getting on your bike.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
gz250dude

Yes I've been commuting in Atlanta traffic for 10 years now and I can honestly say left turning cars are bad news and people do it all the time. But one thing I see us bikers doing that we don't realize is speeding - fact is even a small bike like our GZ is faster than most cars in city traffic but to a non motorcycling car driver they don't know this. They see you at a distance on a 45mph road and expect you to be doing 45 - 50mph when in fact most motorcycle riders around here go quite a bit faster.

Two things happen, you get their way faster than expected and they hit you or you hit them & your taking away your ability to react to the failure of the other driver by speeding. Anytime your moving faster than the flow of traffic in my opinion your setting yourself up to become an accident victim. I know that sounds horrible to say but its true, riding fast is fun but public roads are not the place.

Then of course sometimes accidents happen and its terrible but it just is what it is. I am so sorry to hear this gentlemen didn't make it and I am not trying to imply that he did anything wrong as I have no idea in this scenario but just stating facts I see everyday. I wish people in cars and bikes would realize that slowing down could save alot of lives on the road and why speed anyway? The traffic lights are designed to control the flow so your just racing to the next red light anyway, wasting gas and abusing your vehicle.

Another rule I learned in commuting on Atlanta freeways and downtown traffic on a motorcycle over the years is you slow down approaching intersections even if everything looks clear and the light is green. People do the dumbest things at the last second for no reason and it burns me up LOL.... But I just cuss them out under my breath and move along - but again going fast in the scenario just sets you up to be hit by a car.

Now I have no facts to back this next one up but 10 years of riding / daily commuting experience in all kinds of weather. On the best day, I've yet to own a bike or scooter that will out perform the crappiest car at braking. Now this always puzzles me, I see bikers 5 foot off someones bumper to the left or right - do they really believe they will escape with a maneuver in that distance? I mean I know bikes won't out stop cars in panic situations, and things happen fast in a few seconds when you only have half a car length of room to spare.

Bottom line is slow down, stop speeding and tail gating it goes along way to protect you on the road. Just my life lessons from the last 10 years.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz250dude View Post
Yes I've been commuting in Atlanta traffic for 10 years now and I can honestly say left turning cars are bad news and people do it all the time. But one thing I see us bikers doing that we don't realize is speeding - fact is even a small bike like our GZ is faster than most cars in city traffic but to a non motorcycling car driver they don't know this. They see you at a distance on a 45mph road and expect you to be doing 45 - 50mph when in fact most motorcycle riders around here go quite a bit faster.

Two things happen, you get their way faster than expected and they hit you or you hit them & your taking away your ability to react to the failure of the other driver by speeding. Anytime your moving faster than the flow of traffic in my opinion your setting yourself up to become an accident victim. I know that sounds horrible to say but its true, riding fast is fun but public roads are not the place.

Then of course sometimes accidents happen and its terrible but it just is what it is. I am so sorry to hear this gentlemen didn't make it and I am not trying to imply that he did anything wrong as I have no idea in this scenario but just stating facts I see everyday. I wish people in cars and bikes would realize that slowing down could save alot of lives on the road and why speed anyway? The traffic lights are designed to control the flow so your just racing to the next red light anyway, wasting gas and abusing your vehicle.

Another rule I learned in commuting on Atlanta freeways and downtown traffic on a motorcycle over the years is you slow down approaching intersections even if everything looks clear and the light is green. People do the dumbest things at the last second for no reason and it burns me up LOL.... But I just cuss them out under my breath and move along - but again going fast in the scenario just sets you up to be hit by a car.

Now I have no facts to back this next one up but 10 years of riding / daily commuting experience in all kinds of weather. On the best day, I've yet to own a bike or scooter that will out perform the crappiest car at braking. Now this always puzzles me, I see bikers 5 foot off someones bumper to the left or right - do they really believe they will escape with a maneuver in that distance? I mean I know bikes won't out stop cars in panic situations, and things happen fast in a few seconds when you only have half a car length of room to spare.

Bottom line is slow down, stop speeding and tail gating it goes along way to protect you on the road. Just my life lessons from the last 10 years.