Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 10-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
gzgeezer

Done...I think!

Hey Guys and Gals!
Sorry GZ purists, I had to do it
One long month of nights and weekends, it would have taken A LOT longer had it not been for all the awesome info from the smart folks here!

I won’t give you a blow by blow account, I welcome any questions about how I did what. In a nutshell:
The bike is an ‘04 with only 2500 miles. In spite of the low mileage it needed to have the brakes rebuilt, new tires, front wheel bearings and a few other repairs and maintenance doodads. That’s when I made the decision, “if I’m gonna tear it down this far, I’m going all the way”

I only wanted to fuss with the mechanicals that needed it so the engine, front end, bar controls and even the tank all remained in place throughout the build. Aside from the tires, brakes and such the bike ran like a champ, previous owner had the carb rebuilt.

Overall goal - homemade bobber look with a stock chassis
The bike is painted with Plasti Dip...good prep the stuff is awesome! It however does not like to be sprayed with the can pointed down, so the tank didn’t come out as good as I’d hoped (I peeled it all off and tried again but still not great. That’s the beauty of Plasti Dip). Other parts such as rear fender, front lights were painted hanging up. I’ll take off the tank and re-do when I’m bored...

Front lights and turns are for a Harley got off CL. Rear lights and turns, seat, license bracket, mirrors, pipe wrap, shorty pipe all of amazon for cheap. Air cleaner and jets from J&P. Air intake ‘elbow’ is a 2” pvc pipe from Home Depot painted with Plasti Dip. Battery mounting plate and tail light mounting plate are plumbing sheet metal from HD. Total investment (including the bike itself) about $1600 (and climbing lol).

Had to custom fab the intake, exhaust, battery relocation, seat and rear turn signal mounting, rear fender and rear lights. Rear fender is the stock rear fender support with the back half chopped off. Details details details

Enjoy the pics, hope y’all like it

Paul

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
gzgeezer

More...
Old 10-23-2018, 02:15 AM   #3
gzgeezer

Some more

Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
gzgeezer

And more, sorry for the lame attachments
Old 10-23-2018, 02:19 AM   #5
gzgeezer

and...

Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 AM   #6
gzgeezer

Thanks all again for the great info here!!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Vegas Street Rider

Great job! As bobbers go, it looks really tough. Has to be a fun ride. Enjoy and ride safe.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
bachelorb

Man That looks nice!!! I love the grips (golf grips???). I also like the rear light. I'm thinking of adding an s40 style drag bar and risers to mine. Thats about as bobberish as I get.

What is that seat off of?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
gzgeezer

Thanks gents! It is a blast to ride! It really scoots, I ave the carb dialed in perfect with the intake and pipe, pulls well through the whole range. With all other ergos stock, the new seat sits lower and further back so the fit is stretched a couple inches. You’re a bit more in the bike than on the bike, it’s like sitting in a lawn chair at stop lights It has definitely satisfied my ‘need a project’ bug!
The seat is new off Amazon, $60 with two sets of springs (not used) and the mount. It’s hard as a rock! Shocks are set to 1 and I sit on an AirMax if I’m aboard longer than an hour. The seat pan and the turn signals are attached to the long bracket that came with the Harley lights, just happened to be the perfect length mount for both. It bolts to the fender near where the oem seat latch was. The rear light came in a kit with the license plate frame (less than $20 on Amazon) which is actually an axle mount setup. I got two to get the extra light. Original thought was to go fender-less and mount plate vertical on axle, but realized the fender support adds necessary rigidity to the ass end. I also researched CA law and apparently no rear fender and vertical plates are a no no even tho I see’m all day long - I just don’t like getting pulled over
Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #10
gzgeezer

Oh and the grip wraps are from ‘trip machine’ I think I got’m on amazon but google should get you there, they have several colors