Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Prof_Carl

Starter switch help

Hi everyone...first post for a new member. I've had my GZ250 for almost a decade and it was always so reliable. In 2019, however, it started having issues where, occasionally, where it wouldn't start. Pressing the starter switch (not sure if that's the right term, so the right handle assembly, red toggle switch to crank the engine) would get no sound or clicking. Every time, or nearly every time, it was after I had ridden to work or out to meet a friend.

Well, the pandemic hit, my normal mechanic shut down his place, and well, I let the bike sit till this fall. I found a new mechanic, replaced the battery, drained and refilled the tank, changed the oil, new plug, and then the new mechanic I found replaced the carburetor assembly. I got it back, and it ran great...till the third time out. Rode to work, then later, came out, nothing. Was able to push start it, and it ran fine home. Three days later (had a weekend trip), got on it and it started simply.

As I thought about it, a common aspect of most times when this happened was moisture or rain. Last time, it had rained while I was in work, and even though I parked under a cover, moisture was certainly in the air.

Am I correct in thinking that the switch could be bad or that there could be an electrical issue with it? Again, when this happens, I press the starter button and nothing...no sound, no clicking, nothing...and every time it will push start and run.
If so, is changing it something that can be done (I have several long-time biker friends who have the mechanical gear)?
If so, does anyone know the specific part I need? I've check online and am not confident in what I am seeing.

Searching the web led me here, which I am happy to have found, and thought someone here would know. I know I can take it back to the mechanic, but was hoping to avoid that if possible. But also don't want to get into some tricky thing where I can't get the assembly off or its some massively time-consuming project that will take me far longer than the mechanic.

Thank you for any help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads