Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
StaticXCC

My First Bike!

Hello Everybody!

I just got my first bike, a 1999 GZ250 after passing my Riders Safety Course in BC, Canada. I'm a single full time father that works in the IT Industry (who says all technology types only ride them crotch rockets?), so gotta say I'm a bit nervous! Any tips or tricks that I should know about for this model year?

Cheers,

Static

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to the forum StaticXCC. The Suzuki GZ is probably one of the best bikes for a first time rider. It is very forgiving of mistakes that a new rider makes as opposed to the so called "crotch rockets". You are not going to pop a wheelie and have the bike fall on top of you unlike some of the other bikes. It is a very stable, steady eddy kind of bike. Once you have developed your riding skills, you may want to move up to a different ride, but I think you made a wise choice. The other main advantage that it is a very mechanically simple bike to maintain and work on. The electronics and access to other components is generally pretty easy.

Don't forget to get yourself all the protective riding gear and always wear it, even on short trips to the store, etc. ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Be very defensive in your riding and assume the cagers don't see you. Ride safe and enjoy. The forum is a great source for virtually all you need to know about this bike and then some.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Welcome to the forum StaticXCC. The Suzuki GZ is probably one of the best bikes for a first time rider. It is very forgiving of mistakes that a new rider makes as opposed to the so called "crotch rockets". You are not going to pop a wheelie and have the bike fall on top of you unlike some of the other bikes. It is a very stable, steady eddy kind of bike. Once you have developed your riding skills, you may want to move up to a different ride, but I think you made a wise choice. The other main advantage that it is a very mechanically simple bike to maintain and work on. The electronics and access to other components is generally pretty easy.

Don't forget to get yourself all the protective riding gear and always wear it, even on short trips to the store, etc. ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Be very defensive in your riding and assume the cagers don't see you. Ride safe and enjoy. The forum is a great source for virtually all you need to know about this bike and then some.
All of the above is good advice.

Where did you take your course and where about do you live? I'm in Squamish and it's like paradise here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
StaticXCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post

Aye, wise words I believe. Being a single full time father I want to make sure I stay protected as much as possible, so that I may live to show my own son the joy of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
All of the above is good advice.

Where did you take your course and where about do you live? I'm in Squamish and it's like paradise here.

I took the 1st Gear Motorcycle Training course in Richmond, BC which is also abouts where I live. A good group of people there.