Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
blaine

Re: Sad and Bad

Just read in the morning paper that a young lady that had struck & killed a lady in a wheel chair at a crosswalk has received early parole.After the accident she left the scene and tried to hide the fact.She Originally received a two year sentence.But the National Parole Board granted her parole after six months served.This happened here in the maritime Provences.

:??: :mad:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #22
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video
I'd say 50 years for vehicular homicide sounds more like some ignorant, spiteful, pecker-wood judge ran that show.
But if EVERY judge in EVERY court handed down these sentences, I'd feel a lot safer, knowing that car drivers would have more incentive to be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Just read in the morning paper that a young lady that had struck & killed a lady in a wheel chair at a crosswalk has received early parole.After the accident she left the scene and tried to hide the fact.She Originally received a two year sentence.But the National Parole Board granted her parole after six months served.This happened here in the maritime Provences.

So much for the threat of prison as an incentive to be careful. With only a few exceptions (like Joe), it is used as a consolatory action.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine

Sounds like a good deal for me. Go to prison for 6 months, get new glasses, new teeth, still collect my pension to pay the rent and be out in time for next spring and riding season. Now who do I dislike a whole lot that needs killing ???? :whistle:

Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

One of the biggest reasons there are so many deaths and injuries is due to idiot proof cars. Too easy to drive with no real intelligence required.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
One of the biggest reasons there are so many deaths and injuries is due to idiot proof cars. Too easy to drive with no real intelligence required.
Not to mention the grossly unenlightened who drive them.
My dad lost 1/4 of his H.S. graduating class to auto accidents. My class lost 0.2%.
We had a drivers ed. program. We were taught to be aware, to drive defensively, and we watched (you could only leave the room to throw up) 'Mechanized Murder', 'Signal 30', and other graphic presentations of the darkly serious side of driving.
Most drivers I know seem satisfied to make the car go and stop.They have their license. That's all it takes… I usually take a Xanax when I'm a passenger.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
dentheman

Good ol' high school driver's ed. It was mandatory in Wisconsin way back then and shared class time with 'health' and PE. I have fond memories of driving that old 57 Chevy 'three on the column'. The instructor in the passenger seat, the back seat over loaded with other students all bundled up for the cold and waiting their turns. No dual controls or 'student driver' signs on that thing! Once we got several miles into the country the instructor would have the student stop and change places with another; his first instruction always: "Knock the snow off your shoes before getting in."

That old car doubled as the auto shop class 'fix-me' vehicle. Back then school districts knew how to NOT spend our money! And I think I received excellent driver's training.

I have been involved in three accidents in my life, in two I was rear-ended, in the last one a kid made a left turn directly in front of me.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #27
burkbuilds

My dad used to tell the story of taking my mom to the Tennesse Highway Patrol Headquarters in Tiftonia, to take her drivers test. In those days, the officer rode with you while wearing a helmet on his head. Dad said several people were in line waiting their turn for the officer to take them out for the test drive. One lady was having a horrible time with the manual transmission and clutch and she would always start off with a jerk and was very unsteady driving. When she finally made it back into the parking lot she slammed on the brakes so hard that the officers head bounced off the dashboard. He got out of the car and started filling out the paperwork for her license. One of the people waiting at the curb inquired of him, "You aren't going to give HER a license are you?" to which he replied, "Well, I sure as hell ain't gonna ride with her again." :biggrin:
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #28
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
"Well, I sure as hell ain't gonna ride with her again." :biggrin:
That would be funny if it weren't the reason for a lot of very unskilled drivers on the road.