Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 04-18-2018, 04:21 AM   #1
b1pig

looking for a carb

Anyone have a carb they want to part with for cheap? My wife's bike will NOT run off idle.... getting sick of the on/off game with it. Looking for another one to clean and put on it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
derbydave

Have you tried rebuilding the current carb? They are really easy and cheap to rebuild
Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
b1pig

I've had that thing apart numerous times. Last summer, I had that sucker running like a champ. The idle was a little unsteady... I thought it may be related to an improperly set float level. Wife rode it to her "job" which is about a 25 mile one way ride. 7 miles from home, she was coasting/downshifting to a stop sign from 60mph and when she pulled the clutch in, it died and would not restart.

After I trailered it home, I put the petcock on Prime and it started up. PERFECT idle, but any throttle kills it. Won't run above ... uh... just off-idle. However, if I pull the enrichment, the engine speed comes up. Twist the throttle, it chokes off. It SEEMS to me that the idle circuit is clear, but the circuit(s) covering midrange will not flow fuel. So far as I know, if it unscrews from the carb, I've removed it, cleaned it, soaked it, scrubbed it and sprayed it.

I don't have the money... and this little bike isn't really worth the cost to me... but I've been thinking about just buying one of those 28mm fuel injection conversion kits.

I just don't have the room to take it apart and leave it apart while I soak it for days in solvent. Thinking I might just have to roll it out on the back porch from the garage and put it under a tarp for a couple of weeks while I tinker with it and let is soak in... things.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
derbydave

When you had it apart did you replace the seals and O-rings? How is the diaphragm for the slide? If it has any holes or is torn it won't run right.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
blaine

When you cant get it to rev without choke is most times a Idle circuit/mixture screw problem......How many turns do you have the idle mixture screw turned out?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
b1pig

The idle is perfect.
Once warm, "choke" can be turned off. Slow application of throttle will increase RPM slightly... by a couple hundred, then it begins to miss. Starving for fuel. Pull the choke and the RPM climbs progressively with the choke lever. Additional application of throttle will again increase RPM slightly until it begins to miss and or/falls off. Rapid open/closing of throttle can get the RPM up significantly higher, but not reliably.

Its NOT the idle circuit. I did wonder if the slide is not coming up. The diaphragm appears fine. No damage. No holes. No stretches or wrinkles. The bike is fully together. I tried to pull the airbox out of this thing once and I as I recall it was a complete PITA. Obviously I was missing something.... or maybe it will only come out if the engine is out. (???)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
derbydave

The carb will come off without pulling the air box or engine. Did you replace any of the seals and o-rings? It sounds like an air leak, or blocked passage in the carb body.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
b1pig

looking for a carb

Believe me, I have the carb removal/installation perfected to a science.... I spend more time getting the tools out and the bike positioned to to the job than actually working.

Video for reference

I realize this “parts wanted” thread has morphed into a troubleshooting thread if any moderator wants to move it to the appropriate forum..... 🤣

Not that I don’t appreciate the effort, guys.
I’ve removed the carb NUMEROUS times. If you check my forum activity, I’m sure it will be reflected in the threads/posts. The only things I have NOT tried are soaking/heating in lemon juice or PineSol.... both seemingly popular internet fixes for crappy carbs. I soaked it for a couple of days in that Berryman’s stuff a couple of years ago. Since then, it had a weird idle that would creep up if the bike sat with the engine at idle.

In ref to o-rings.... the only one I changed was the one I think on the pilot jet? Did that one a couple of years ago. Really no issue with it at this point. Still pliable with no cracks. I mean seriously. This thing is CLEAN. I’m kinda convinced the midrange fuel/air tracks are plugged. The day it started this was a sudden onset last summer. Now the wife won’t trust the little **** past the front yard. Meaning she won’t ride it. Not that I blame her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by b1pig; 04-30-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
derbydave

It sure sounds like it is starving for fuel. The blued exhaust pipes even indicate running lean. How is the petcock? have you tried running it in the prime position?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Vegas Street Rider

I would check the petcock and make sure the vacuum hose on the back side of it is good and snug just for starters. Like Derby Dave mentioned, try running it on the prime setting. If that checks out, you might even want to pull it out and check the inlet screens to make sure something didn't slough off from inside the tank and plug the screens.

Last edited by Vegas Street Rider; 04-30-2018 at 05:29 PM.