Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 05-02-2018, 04:38 AM   #11
b1pig

Yea, it was running on prime in that video. The blued pipes are from an earlier incident a few years ago.... That was what started this whole thing. After I took the carb off and cleaned it the first time, I turned the idle mixture screw out a little and enriched the mixture. That cleaned up most of the engine's bad habits. Wife rode it quite a bit around that time. Only issue it had THEN was the idle was kind of erratic and would creep up on you. Which it doesn't do now at all. As a matter of fact, the idle is dead steady.

If I had the $700 or so to swap in a fuel injection kit, I'd do it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
derbydave

If It was me I would completely tear down and clean the carb and install a complete carb rebuild kit like this one.

https://www.allballsracing.com/26-1659.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (19.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by derbydave; 05-02-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
b1pig

WTF

I fixed it......

Removed it this evening. Completely disassembled it again. Took good care to lookat EVERYTHING as I took it apart. The silver collar that goes above the main jet holder was upside down. Last time I assembled it, I did it off memory. The collar would not go into the hole no matter how I tried, so I figured I had it upside down. Flipped it and dropped it in and it fell right into place like it was meant to be that way.

That silver collar... the FLAT side goes towards the bowl and the side with the tapered internal goes up towards the bore. When in doubt, refer to the dang manual. I STILL could not get the collar in. Dropped the slide/needle in from the top and held it in place as I held the carb upside down.... dropped the collar in... still didn't drop in. BUT. Once I threaded the main jet holder in, it fell right in to place. Revs good. Idles perfect. Probably the cleanest Mikuni on an 11 year old bike.

I am amazed that the collar just being upside down was the only dang thing that I found wrong and it was this serious.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
GWIFF

Question

I know this thread is a year old, but I am having almost the same exact problem, is there any way you could post some photos or more explanation of exactly what silver collar you are talking about ?
Old 08-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
b1pig

replied to your PM.

let me know if you need anything else.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #16
b1pig

..... and its clogged up again after sitting for a few months... and after the carb was drained.

i hate this thing.....
Old 09-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #17
Vegas Street Rider

Are you treating your fuel with anything when it sits idle for some time b1pig? I usually run Seafoam through the system before I store the bike for any time. If there is fuel in the tank, I also add Stabil to the fuel so it doesn't go bad.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #18
b1pig

I got a new ultrasonic cleaner. Removed and disassembled the carb (again) and dropped it into the new cleaner along with a nice mix with some Mean Green... three 5 minute cycles in the cleaner.

Put it back together and its running great.

I keep Sta-bil in this bike. I also try to keep nonethanol fuel in it. There are a couple of stations that have "marine" gas at the pumps. That, and any time I know the bike it going to sit more than a couple of weeks, I drain the carb, disco the vacuum line and try to make sure the carb is as dry as it can get.

I'd rather put a non-vacuum petcock on it so I can cut it off and let the carb idle it dry. I have done this with every other motorcycle I've owned and had zero issues with the carbs fouling up like this thing.

The wife just doesn't want me to change anything on it. Also, she has told me three times to sell it, and every time I clean it up and get it running right again, she rides it a few times and changes her mind. LOL
Old 09-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #19
Vegas Street Rider

Sounds like you go above and beyond in the maintenance department. The only other things I would look at is if the fuel tank has some built in sediment in it or the filter screen on the petcock is damaged causing gunk to leak through to the carb.

Not wanting to stick my nose in your business, but maybe your wife wants a different bike. Just sayin.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #20
b1pig

She did. We tried. Honestly, I think after her back surgery she's done... with the exception of the occasional jaunt on the GZ.

I have a feeling it will be on sale again soon. We have too much going on right now. It's a bad time for a lot of people. We've got our fair share of less than happy stuff, so....

It's all good.

Thanks for keepin the traffic goin on the forum. Forums are a dying form of chatter and information exchange. I have been a moderator on another forum, and its been a ghost town for a few years. We still keep it up and running. The archive of info on there is an asset to people who need to do research on Jeeps.