Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
miller.connor25

headlight lo and high beams not working

so I have a 2003 gz250 and it's totally stock but the headlight just went off during a ride and when I got home I checked it out and all the fuses are ok the bulb turns on when connected to a battery charger the high beam light is always off but it came down to the high/lo beam switch on the handle bar and I took that apart and used the battery and some wire and touched the wire to the battery and the other end to the wire in the switch and the light came on so do I have to replace the switch or the whole assembly around the handlebar that includes the blinkers and choke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2018, 03:06 AM   #2
alantf

Sorry, but your explanation is a bit confusing. Can you explain it differently?
Old 07-24-2018, 03:47 AM   #3
miller.connor25

my headlight will not turn on and I know the bulb does work and the all the fuses work as well but I took apart the hi and lo beam switch with the blinker and horn I took that apart and in the switch it pops apart showing where the wires are soldered on and I used a speaker wire to transfer a current from the battery to one of the solder points ( which there is 3) and the headlight came on then I tried the middle one and nothing happens then I did the far left one and the high beams came on and so I don't now if that parts not getting power or what
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Sorry, but your explanation is a bit confusing. Can you explain it differently?

Old 07-24-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
alantf

If using a separate cable got it to work, looks like it could be a break in the wiring, between fuse and switch.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
miller.connor25

Quote:
If using a separate cable got it to work, looks like it could be a break in the wiring, between fuse and switch.
yea but I can't find it I took the gas tank off and the ratings and checked all of the connection

Old 07-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
alantf

I sold my GZ earlier this year, so I can't check the wiring route, but according to the wiring diagram there are two fuses. One for hi-beam, and one for low-beam, so there could be more than one wire broken. Looks like the centre soldered part in the switch is for the pass light. Try tracing the wiring around the steering pivot. Constant movement of the handlebars can damage the wiring, but that's just a guess. Seems more like a break between fuses and switch. Good hunting.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
miller.connor25

Quote:
I sold my GZ earlier this year, so I can't check the wiring route, but according to the wiring diagram there are two fuses. One for hi-beam, and one for low-beam, so there could be more than one wire broken. Looks like the centre soldered part in the switch is for the pass light. Try tracing the wiring around the steering pivot. Constant movement of the handlebars can damage the wiring, but that's just a guess. Seems more like a break between fuses and switch. Good hunting.
Yea I've already taken the gas tank off and checked all around that and thiers nothing all the connections are good as I can tell

Old 07-26-2018, 03:50 AM   #8
alantf

Now's the time to buy a cheap multi meter. Remove the fuses, and with meter set at ohms, prove that the fuses are ok. Then set the meter at dc volts and from one side of the fuse holder to ground (bike frame) you should get a reading, to prove that there's power to the fuses. If that's ok, then disconnect any connectors, and with meter set at ohms, check each wire in turn for continuity. (look for the colours of the wires at each end of the test run, and it's colour to colour) A long job, but now it's the only way of finding the break.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
derbydave

Most of the electrical connections terminate in the headlight bucket. Take the light out and look in there for anything obvious, loose connections, burnt wires ect. If that fails you really need a meter to properly troubleshoot things