Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
GEREN

LED flasher unit Qs

Hey all,

Bought a pair of 16x LED indicators for my 2001 GZ250 Marauder. Connected them up and the flashes are really fast.
I have since been told that the factory flasher unit on the bike will need to be replaced with an LED flasher unit.

I was wondering if someone can describe/show in a picture where the factory unit will be ??? [I assume near the fuses under the seat but cant tell which module it is].

Also, can anyone suggest what kind of replacement I will need? I will be replacing the front indicators with LEDs as well eventually. Looking on eBay, I've seen some with 2 prongs, 3 prongs and some with 4! So I dont know what would be most appropriate.

I've scoured the service manual also but that didnt seem to help

Any suggestions here much appreciated!
Chris

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: LED flasher unit Qs

You'll more than likely need a load equalizer because LED turnsignal bulbs impose less electrical load, causing the flasher to blink too quickly. I'd suggest you check with the company that sold them to you for guidance.

I changed my turnsignals out to clear lenses and LED's, but changed back to incandescent bulbs because my GZ's flasher system wouldn't flash at all with them (or too fast to see).

Then, I had to go back to amber lenses on the front because amber colored bulbs are .2 watt too much load to flash (stock Suzuki front TS bulbs are lower wattage than the std. 1156 bulb, but not the twin element 1157's in the rear, WTF??).

So now I have clear lenses with red colored bulbs in the rear and amber lenses with stock bulbs in front.

GZ's electrical system is very sensitive to changes, although it did tolerate an original "Back-Off" module without a problem.

Welcome and good luck.

:chop:
Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
bonehead

Hey Sarris, explain the "back off" module, or guide me to a link please.(sounds interesting).

Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
alantf

Seems like the spec for bulbs is different for each country. My handbook shows 12v/10w for the rear flashers, & 21/5w for the Canadian rear flashers. Over here we don't have the flashers illuminated (just the central tail light) Makes me wonder if the flasher unit etc. would have to be different in different countries, to take account of the different wattages.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Sarris

Bone;

Back-Off sequentially flashes your taillight when stop light is on. Read here: Signal Dynamics Go with the simplest possibe cuz a GeeZer won't push much.

I used the the original.

Alan,

It's possible. All I really know is US spec OEM Suzuki front bulb has lower wattage than the normal generic 1156 (?) bulb and a generic 1156 bulb won't flash on my bike. The OEM works fine. WTF??

:whistle:

Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Does the GZ have a simple 2 or 3 prong flasher ?? If so the problem can be solved easily without much hassle. All you need is a simple electronic flasher from an auto parts store. They will work with no load whatsoever and maintain a good flash rate. Not a high $ item either.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Does the GZ have a simple 2 or 3 prong flasher ?? If so the problem can be solved easily without much hassle. All you need is a simple electronic flasher from an auto parts store. They will work with no load whatsoever and maintain a good flash rate. Not a high $ item either.
:plus1:

That is BY FAR the easiest and cheapest solution......if you can find an electronic flasher that will fit the socket on the GZ.......so first you must find the flasher. I can't believe that's not covered in the service manual.

If that doesn't pan out, the company that makes your replacement LEDs can probably sell you "load resistors" to compensate for the lower power drain....BUT....be serious about trying to find a new flasher first. Part of the advantage of the LEDs is lower power drain, which you lose if you put the resistors on AND the company's often screw you royally on the price of the resistors.....charging up to $30 for a pair of resistors that you could get at Radio Shack for about $5.

Are the LEDs really that much better?
I followed a Harley last week that had LEDs on the back and I didn't like them in the daylight; they either weren't bright enough or had too narrow a viewing angle.....or both.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
GEREN

To be honest, I really dont mind how bright they are or the viewing angle etc. They lit up pretty well at night when I connected them up in my hand.
I'm retro-fitting them onto the rear fender just behind the seat and where the rear spring connects with the frame and chopping off the factory mounts at the back. Hence, you'll probably only see them well if right behind me. (but it's gonna look the part! ) *I'll make sure to load pics when all fitted up, should be this weekend*

I see the 3 prong flasher units are essentially 2 for the indicators and one for earth so should be fairly simple to install (fingers crossed)

... if someone knows what I need to be replacing/can show a pic, that'd be awesome!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
GEREN

So I had a go at it today. Bought my LED flasher (Narva 68245BL) and some bullet connectors.
This is the indicator I got with the old one next to it for comparison:

Then, I had to find the where the relay is:

Then it's a matter of understanding what each of the 7 pins on the factory module are for:

And then try to match that with the new LED relay's wiring diagram:

The new Narva relay:

After fishing around for some answers, I came across this thread on a TL1000R forum:
http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=34959

And so I guess the 'F' and 'G' contacts (the wires underneath) on the factory module go to contacts '31' and '49' on the new module. [UNLESS SOMEONE THINKS OTHERWISE??] One thing I'm really not sure of is the 'indicator switch' being suggested in the Narva diagram :S
I assume it wont be 'E' on the old module as that seems to correspond with the side-stand cut-off switch. (!!)
I thought maybe it will need to be connected somewhere near the handlebars as that's where the indicator is (spliced into the wire that runs from the indicator switch) <<-------- would everybody agree??

Any other thoughts?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEREN
Then it's a matter of understanding what each of the 7 pins on the factory module are for:
Oops. I knew there was a really good reason why few (nobody) has done this before !!!

Because of the side-stand part of it, you can't replace the whole relay. It must stay in place.
Looks to me like you need a 2-pin electronic flasher (does that even exist?) to connect JUST to the flasher wires. The electronic flasher may have 3 pins with the extra one going to ground.

Good luck! You are in uncharted territory, I think.