Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
fairweatherrider

OK, when I SLOWLY let out the clutch lever the idle slows down and when I pull the lever in it speeds up.I do this when I am stopped and my brake is on, just so it doesn't race for too long especially at a traffic light. I did have the irratic idle before I adjusted the cables which is why I readjusted the cables. I don't really think that had anything to do with my problem but I tried anyway. I could be wrong.I'm no expert that's for sure.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherrider
I did have the irratic idle before I adjusted the cables which is why I readjusted the cables.
Okay. Just wanted to eliminate that as a possible cause.

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 07-23-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
fairweatherrider

Today I rode until almost out of gas on purpose so I could fill the tank with premium octane gas. I thought it would be worth a try. I'll ride tomorrow to see if I have the same issues.Maybe the carb needs to be cleaned and new jets. I'm lost. Maybe it's something else. I've been reading other posts and it seems like there are a lot of these bikes with the same or similar trouble. I thank you guys for helping me out. At least I can eliminate some possibilities. Maybe the floats are sticing. Lots of maybes. All I can do is try the different things you're telling me.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #14
gz4me +

No need for higher grade gas. GZ designed for 87. Perhaps Seafoam with that fresh gas would help. Never hurts to use Seafoam. It keeps the GZ happy. As Jonathan and Water Warrior 2 suggest, clean the carb. check air cleaner and spark plug. That plug fouls easy.(At least mine has in the past) Goodluck and happy riding.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
fairweatherrider

Thanks for the reply. Probably no need for the high octane gas but I try the easy things first. I do use B-12 Chemtool every other tankful. I've heard it's better than Seafoam from other riders. I did change the air cleaner but haven't checked the sparkplug. I will do that this evening. I'm leaving the carb removal as last.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Fawlty

Definitely no need for high octane, unless you are a money launderer out of options!!.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #17
fairweatherrider

Well I think I've run out of options. Do you think I should just rebuild the carburetor? If so, where's the best site to order one and what would be the correct one to order.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #18
gz4me +

Wait for one of our more senior members to respond before buying a new carb. Jonathan and Alantf are pretty good with carbs. and idle adjustments. Idle adjustment can be a pain. If you do not have an ear for RPM's, you need a tach.

Last edited by gz4me +; 07-29-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
alantf

With the idle - some people set it too low. With the engine HOT, it should be between 1200 and 1400 RPM. If it's set too low, the bike will try to shut off when you release the throttle. Is this what you mean, or is it entirely different? When you're stationary, out of gear, there should be no difference with the clutch lever in or out.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
fairweatherrider

When I'm just sitting on the bike it speeds up and slows down. I bought a K&L carb repair kit and did it this evening. I'll have to wait until Thursday to go for a ride due to bad weather tomorrow. I took it for a quick ride when I finished and it seemed better. I'll let you all know.