Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Suzuki-san

got er dun - 16T

I bought the 16T JT Sprocket a while back, but finally got the nerve to do the swap. I'm glad I did, because the 30mm nut holding the 15T on was LOOSE! Thank goodness the bent washer was in place to keep it from unraveling!

Anyhoo, after studying the videos and reading this thread, and going over in my mind what I had to do, it was actually a pretty simple mod to do!

My experiences after the sprocket change to 16T is similar to other posters in this thread. I like that 1st gear is usable. The gears are spread out more, and it seems to run smoother. To me, the acceleration is as good if not better than before from start to 50+mph. I saw little or no loss in torque, esp. considering I am overweight by 100lbs or so. (curse you Krispy Kreme bacon donut dog... CURSE YOU!)

And as some of you have mentioned, and I am experiencing it as well, 5th gear is almost useless. At best it can hold a speed like 60mph. Try to accelerate, and it bogs down and goes slower. I guess it is too much for that engine to take the bike, my heavy self, a headwind plus doing 60mph, to do much more. The rest of the bike is stock. May consider rejetting the carb at a later date to compensate.

OVERALL I still like the mod. It is cheap to do and easily reversed if not satisfied.