Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #41
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Is it counter intuitive to not own a home? I hated home ownership, honestly. The only sticking factor would be that I can in control of equity of said property. But we no longer live in a society where people stay in the same house for 30 years... Average car ownership isn't even 5 years anymore. Unless I was going to start a farm and invest millions into a large Victorian or something, I'd rather have a clean and maintained place, living efficiently because of the community closeness, and not have to worry about fixing every little thing out of my own pocket... And pools.... God I'll never own a pool. Again.

I may change my mind at some point in the future. But I have no problem renting and living for the experience instead of the investment.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #42
Goose51683

Well that is the point I'm at Jonathan. I just realized today that I've sunk over 70k+ into my house just in mortgage payments, not to mention 10-20k in improvements, and maintenance. Wouldn't be a big deal except that's only over 7 years and I have lost every dime I've put into it.

Real estate agents say it'll take 2 years to sell if I ask what I owe on it.

Now thats a damn good argument for not owning.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #43
alantf

Yeah......We bought (on the island) eleven years ago. Prices have doubled, but we couldn't get the asking price (if we wanted to sell) because no one has the cash to pay the crazy asking prices.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #44
Goose51683

I bought at what I thought was the bottom after the bubble burst. The house was listed for 180, I got it for 140, and now couldn't sell it for 120.

Real estate sucks ass!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #45
Water Warrior 2

The older folks here will remember the Dream of owning their own home. It has been my experience that it is more of a nightmare. I honestly thought owning a home was the way to go. Bad decision on my part. Of course so were the first 2 wives who wanted a house.
Think I have it figured out now. Rent and have a Significant Other who wants you more than a house.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #46
Goose51683

I still have hope that things will turn around but the hope is beginning to feel less and less likely
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #47
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Exact same place, my friend.

I bought a house in 2007, just before the collapse, and I bought it from my mom who had foolishly started building her dream home before even listing the previous one. Long story short, I purchased it for her pay-off and had about $50,000 in equity from the outset. That didn't last long. Throw a divorce in there, and I've lost tens of thousands of dollars on something that I never really wanted to begin with but that I purchased because OTHER PEOPLE needed more space and room for their relatives to move in....

Anyway - houses a dumb. I appraise real estate for a living so I get the joy of watching this stuff all the time. It almost makes no sense to invest so heavily into something that can be lost on the whims of some shady financial practices... People work their whole lives and make really personally monumental decisions on something that to mortgage lenders is just another piece of data that be discarded or even transferred to another data collecting faux money trader.

Let's start a GZ250 commune... Goose gets to run the windmills, Alan can control the electrical grid and tell everyone how to charge their home batteries at less than 2A for short periods of time, JWR can go on adventures that make everyone jealous with photos that he posts in the great hall, WW and all of the other Canadians can mention places and names of things that no one understands the references too, and I'll post ridiculous and awkward photos...ya know... to keep things light or whatever it is that I do.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #48
grasshopper

where is the commune gonna be located? I want in.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #49
Goose51683

Just give me an address and a junk pile and we'll get it made.

I call the role of village mad scientist!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #50
Water Warrior 2

Perfect place is Squamish. I won't have to leave that way. And we can watch Eagles all winter too while we grow B.C. bud for the tourists.