Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
WowWhoaWeeWa

First "Solo" Ride on a TU250...

Hey Everyone,

I saw a post by Geezer the other day about the TU250x. I thought I would share my experience being on the road today for the first time since passing my MSF riding course 3 weeks ago. I have to say, it was intimidating at first. I rode around a parking lot for some time getting used to the bike and doing basic maneuvers. I did ok with shifting gears but I still need practice. I thought there was too much "clunking" when I changed gears.

Like a bird leaving it's nest for the first time, I decided it was time to mingle with traffic on a "high speed" road. By "high speed," I mean 35MPH. I looked at the speedometer, I was only doing 25! Holy cow, I had to speed up. I kicked it up a few notches. The perspective of speed on a bike feels so different than in my truck.

I ultimately got the courage to hit 50 MPH on another road (a little over the speed limit of 45) and what a thrill! The scene was picturesque; grassy country fields passing by with the setting sun glowing a bright but gentile orange in the horizon. I see why we ride. I could have kept going but I had to get home and wrap up my day.

All in all, a great ride. Fuel injection allowed the engine to start up with a simple tap of the starter button. Although I don't have experience with other bikes, the TU250x felt great. The ride was smooth and despite its small size, it handled average road imperfections like a champ. By the of the 16 miles I rode, I found myself shifting better. I learned I don't have to squeeze the clutch all the way to shift smoothly. There is no tachometer so I can't be certain what the RPMs where when I approached 50 MPH. I hope it was less than 5k as I still have to break in the motor. Fortunately, I wasn't at that speed for very long. Does any one know the approximate engine RPM in 5th gear at 50 MPH?

Thanks for letting me share.

Howard

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
blaine

Re: First "Solo" Ride on a TU250...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowWhoaWeeWa

There is no tachometer so I can't be certain what the RPMs where when I approached 50 MPH. I hope it was less than 5k as I still have to break in the motor. Fortunately, I wasn't at that speed for very long. Does any one know the approximate engine RPM in 5th gear at 50 MPH?

Thanks for letting me share.

Howard
Glad your first ride was a success.At 50 mph,you would be getting very close to your 5000 rpm.Ride safe.
:2tup:

Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Excellant first ride report. Glad everything went so well for you. Shifting will become even smoother with time and really get better after the first oil change. As a newbie on the road PLEASE do not get over confident. Go play in more parking lots and practice your turns, U turns and emergency braking. This is crucial to surviving the streets and avenues. Ride safe, ride often.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Take it easy until you get used to it. Speed, curves, shifting etc. will come naturally with time. In about six months you'll be 100 times better and won't even need to think about any of it. But don't rush it, because you *are* thinking about it now, and so going slow is advisable. A lot of us on here like Proficient Motorcycling by Hough. Lot's of good "best practices" in there.

Welcome and have fun.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
WowWhoaWeeWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Excellant first ride report. Glad everything went so well for you. Shifting will become even smoother with time and really get better after the first oil change. As a newbie on the road PLEASE do not get over confident. Go play in more parking lots and practice your turns, U turns and emergency braking. This is crucial to surviving the streets and avenues. Ride safe, ride often.
Hey WW,

I'm most definitely still practicing those vital skills. Most of my time yesterday was behind a supermarket where I had no cars to content with. I'll be back there today as well.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
WowWhoaWeeWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Glad your first ride was a success.At 50 mph,you would be getting very close to your 5000 rpm.Ride safe.
:2tup:
Is that right? Hmm... I have to reconsider using my bike during my commute until the motor is broken or at least wait until 300. While most of my trip is in traffic, there are two stretches where 50 MPH would be needed to keep up. That's fine. I'm sure 600 will come pretty quick while practicing. :-)

Howard
Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowWhoaWeeWa

Is that right? Hmm... I have to reconsider using my bike during my commute until the motor is broken or at least wait until 300. While most of my trip is in traffic, there are two stretches where 50 MPH would be needed to keep up. That's fine. I'm sure 600 will come pretty quick while practicing. :-)

Howard
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't go over the 50 mph mark for any amount of time.IMO a vehicle is best broken in at various speeds and rpm's.
:rawk: :2tup:

Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
alantf

I don't know for sure, but people on here have said that in 5th gear, it's 10MPH for every 1000 RPM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
WowWhoaWeeWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I don't know for sure, but people on here have said that in 5th gear, it's 10MPH for every 1000 RPM.
If that is true, that would be a huge help to gauge RPMs.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
geezer

i belive that its not good to baby a new engine. you want the piston rings to properly seat themselves againts the cylinderwalls. and to do this you need high cylinder pressures and to get that you need more throttle. no need to nail it everywhere you go but babying during break in is way over rated