Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Goose51683

Santa Cruz California

This has nothing to do with bikes but since this is my most trusted social outlet (sad I know) this is where I'll ask.

Does anyone or has anyone elver lived in, visited, or worked in Santa Cruz, CA. It looks like I may have a job offer there but that's a big difference from Indiana I'm sure and I haven't found anyone else who knows anything about the area other than your typical internet troll.

Thanks guys, and gals.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Do a Goggle search. You will likely find all the good stuff like weather, housing, population, economic growth and hot spots to visit.
They also have Vampires..............well, they did in the movie.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
grasshopper

yeah ww, I think it was the movie " lost boys ". I agree to google it or youtube it.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Gooser, my brother in law and sister stay in Salinas all the time. That's only 40 minutes away. I'll get back to to you soon with their input.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Goose51683

Thanks Jonathan, I've done plenty of google searches but google will never be able to tell you how a place feels or how the people act or treat others. Some towns are friendly, and full of relatively pleasant people, and then you get the towns that are full of pricks who wouldn't give a dying man a second glance *cough* NYC *cough*.

I'm really trying to avoid those locations but this position would be in a field full of rock climbers (my other neglected hobby) and I would never see snow again which in my opinion is a huge plus. Gotta balance my thoughts with what would make the rest of my family happy as well though.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

In text conversation now...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Goose51683

Thank you Jonathan, I really appreciate it. I'll work in Santa cruz but could live anywhere within a hours commute...

Sure would be nice to ride the geezer more than 4-5 months a year
Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

My sister is who I'm talking to at the moment. Rayan's family lives out there and they have for most of their lives (blended Caucasian/Arabic family) with the dad doing 6 months in the States and 6 months in Jeddah, KSA, which is where Rayan and my sister met... Anyway, I'm waiting to hear back from him too but her take so far is only positive.

"The people and the locales are nice - mostly working middle class and lower class areas with more upscale downtowns."

This is speaking of Salinas mostly. Once I hear back from Rayan the details will be more substantial and he should have a real opinion about Santa Cruz.

I will say from my time in CA, the only place I wouldn't live in LA. The weather and everything else is pretty impeccable though, and I've been North, South & Center. And it's all good. California would be the perfect place to live were it not for overpopulating and resource constraint and water theft.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Goose51683

Thanks Jonathan, I spent a little time pulling into ports in Cali while I was in the Navy but it's been a long time and it was only for a couple drunken nights at a time.

I love the thought of not freezing my ass off for months of a time. I've heard some bad things about California but I wasn't sure how much is hype and how much is factual. I have another interview tonight via Skype which is a first for me so we will see how that goes. First couple interviews I felt like they would have given me a hug if they could have so I think there is a real chance of getting an offer.

It'll be a huge change for my family and I so I am taking as much time as I can and getting as much information as I can but in the end it's going to be a jump into the unknown.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Hey Goose...........you are a rock climber!! Far out. Have you ever heard of the "Chief" in Squamish?? A world class climb right here in my little paradise. Don't climb myself but a lot of my friends do and a few are world reknown climbers.
Have you ever read any books by Jim Sinclair about climbing. He lives here and is a good coffee mate.