Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Jordan310

Wheels

Quote:
Soon I will post new pics of my GZ with taller rear shocks, 18" f+r wheels, and relocated foot controls
Does anyone know where you can or if you can get the wheels larger on this bike?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Don't have an answer but have a question. Why ?? Do you want more height/ground clearance, different handling characteristics, greater load capacity or just to be different?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
Jordan310

Well actually I was lookiung for 17's, and for a thicker back tire. For better traction, and for improved style.
How hard would it be to get a wider tire on the rear, and larger rims?

Not hard Im thinking..

Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Well, actually a pain most likely. IF you find a rear rim the size you want you'll most likely have to do some messing around with the axle/spacers plus some modification to the brake and/or sprocket since it would be set up for a different bike. They do alot of rim mods for the spirit that i own and every rim mod requires some type of mod work to get it to work and function properly.

Now for a bigger tire, just roll on down to a bike shop and ask them. Depending on how much room there is between the tire and swingarm ... you might be able to go another 10 or 20 mm on the stock rim.

If its better traction you want then you should be looking at tire brands/ratings rather than thickness.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

A thicker tire will just slow you down. This bike doesn't make enough power to warrant a fatter tire.
Also, wheel changes are extremely difficult, costly, time-consuming and in the end, not worth it. This isn't like swapping out wheels on a car.

It's important to remember that changing things or "upgrading" simply because you want the ability to say that you've "upgraded" something doesn't necessarily make the bike any better at what it's built for. Now, some people don't car about functionality, but that's a different story.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
Badbob

Now if I could do a direct swap for a wheel that would let me run tubeless tires. I would give that some serious consideration.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
Jordan310

Hmm.. Tubeless whitewalls..
Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Now if I could do a direct swap for a wheel that would let me run tubeless tires. I would give that som serious consideration.
Now that would be a winner. So much easier (and cheaper) to get back on the road if you pick up a nail. I looked into this for my C50 since they make a C50C that comes with cast wheels and tubeless tires. These are the only wheels made to easily fit the C50. The few small changes and cost of new wheels etc. would run be between $1200 and $1500. This is not going to happen with my budget.

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Gadzooks Mike

BadBob - if you find any info on replacement wheels to run tubeless tires, please yell!!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Sounds like the same for my Shadow, Bill. VLX rim mod for mine is upwards of 8-1000 bucks. Thats after buying a brand new rim, relacing it, new tire, some mods for fitment. Its crazy lol. The results are stunning but just too expensive for my blood. I'm still trying to find a way to fund my rake kit for 670.00 lol

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook