Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Richard1969

Headlights not working

Looking for a bit of help my headlights are intermitent. I have traced the wiring back through and cannot see anything amiss. Looking at some of the other threads on here it says to check the main ground. Is that talking about the battery earth that goes to the engine block. I have just found a problem I had with the indicator only working one side was a wire into the block under the tank. Messing with the other block there which the headlight wires go into makes no difference. The headlight comes on when I press the pass switch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1969 View Post
Looking for a bit of help my headlights are intermitent. I have traced the wiring back through and cannot see anything amiss. Looking at some of the other threads on here it says to check the main ground. Is that talking about the battery earth that goes to the engine block. I have just found a problem I had with the indicator only working one side was a wire into the block under the tank. Messing with the other block there which the headlight wires go into makes no difference. The headlight comes on when I press the pass switch.
Does the headlight not work in Hi and Low position on the switch or just one of them? The pass switch powers up Hi beam. Maybe your Low beam is burnt out.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
Richard1969

It is definitely electrical as it works periodically. I have cleaned all the contact points at the switch end and tried to follow the wiring back along. The light does not work in the low or high beam but the high beam comes on with the pass switch. Just a little stumped on this one.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 AM   #4
alantf

Have you checked the wiring in the actual headlight bucket?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Richard1969

Yes I have the headlight out and the bucket wiring looks in good order. I may after reading some of the other threads on this subject strip the casing back to check for breaks in the loom. I was after some advice as to where the earth terminates, it looks like it goes all the way to the battery then the main earth.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 AM   #6
alantf

Yes, the earth goes back to the battery, but it picks up all the other earths on the way, so there are lots of connectors to check. The first connector goes to the front indicators, so, if these are working, the earth should be ok right back to the battery. The pass switch feeds a contact in the light switch, so power is getting to the switch block (to a separate contact), then to the headlight. This shows that live and earth are both ok in the headlight. I'd still put my money on it being a problem with the other contacts in the switch.

Last edited by alantf; 09-14-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
alantf

Just thought I'd try to clarify things.....The pass switch lights up the bulb. There is only one earth in th headlight bulb, so if it works with the pass switch, then the earth is ok. The pass switch and hi beam position in the switch use the same cable from the switch to the bulb, so, if the pass switch lights the bulb, then the cable between switch and bulb is ok. As the pass switch works, we know that there is power to the switch..........So...... power to the switch, power from the switch to the bulb, and a good earth. The only thing it could be is the switch itself.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:30 AM   #8
alantf

How's it going? Have you sorted it yet?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
Vegas Street Rider

Kind of an unrelated question regarding the wiring in the headlight bucket. Is the main wire connector repairable or does the whole wiring harness have to be replaced? I have a wire that has pulled partially out of the connector and wonder if the internal pin can be pulled out and the wire reattached and pushed back in
Old 10-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #10
alantf

Why not cut both ends of the wire and solder (with pvc tape wrapped around for insulation) or choc block them together? If they won't reach together, just use a short length of wire, with two solders. I've done this on car wiring when the harness got rubbed through on a sharp edge. A cheap and good repair that lasted the life of the car.