Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #21
shmeel

love the cans

:rawk: I have looked at the army surplus store for three years and kept thinking, "how can I make that work?" "Will that work?" "Will it be too heavy." Anyway, good job.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2007, 05:27 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Gotta love the durability of a steel box. I doubt any weight factor would be a problem for the bike unless riding 2 up and packing a lot of gear.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #23
Badbob

I have a collection of photos of bikes with various ammo cans and an assortment of other containers attached to them. GZ250s, BMWs, KTMs, KLR560s, Honda Rebels, and even a Harley. Thye might give you som more ideas.

http://tinyurl.com/288xh3

Weight isn't much of a problem so longs you don't carry any thing very heavy. Once you get over 20-30lbs you might want to consider building a rack. In my current method the only support is the fender bolts with a saddle bag support helping to prevent them from sagging under the weight.

I uses Tap Bolts to replace the fender bolts. These are threaded all the way to the head. Nuts are used as spacers to get it to the right spot and so I can easily remove them. I don't want to have to put my hand under the fender to get them off.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #24
davidc83

Hey BadBob,
Are you the Robert in Tallahassee on the Honda Rebel forum also? If so, I will see you at the Franklin rally. I am riding my gz down from Indiana for the rally. I want to see those ammo cans and how you have them set up. Later
Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #25
Badbob

Yep that would be me.

I'm a member of the 2500cc group and the GZ250 group on Yahoo.

I'm planning to go to this provided everyting works out at work.

Two GZ250s in a herd of Rebels.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #26
davidc83

I wish I could find an Army Surplus around here. Used to find them everywhere but there are no longer any in my area. :-(

Unless someone knows of one in southern Indiana or Louisville, Ky?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #27
Badbob

I've got the same problem In Tallahassee. There is only one and its not very good.

I get mine off ebay and at gun shows. At the larger gun shows there is just about always someone selling ammoc ans. SOmetime they are full of ammo and you have to shoot it all before you can use the can. Even paying the shipping cost its way cheaper to buy them on ebay than getting them at the local store. I bought a pallet full of 50BMG boxes from a guy about 200 miles form me. Including picking them up it only cost me me about $4.00 each.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #28
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Badbob,
An Idea on how to make the ammo cans quickly removable so you can take them with you. on the inside of the box use a wing nut either welded or expoxied to a a fender washer. drill a small hole thru the bolt near the end for a locking pin so that the wing nuts don't rattle loose and fall off while you're riding. I may try this myself if I ever find the time.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #29
Badbob

You carry tools right? Just take the nut off. If you carry a ratcheting wrench in the box you'll have them off in no time.

I've looked at all the common hardware available in my area and the best thing I could come up with was a clevis pin. The problem I have with this is that it can't be made water tight. When you tighten the nut and washer and to have a gasket inside and out it seals. I've been through some heavy downpours and not got a drop inside.

What is really needed is an adjustable cam lock/latch. I know they make them but I can't find one. I probably don't have the name right.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #30
Badbob

Don't Limit Yourself to Ammo Cans

There might be something readily available in your area.

Some things I've seen used:
  • Tool Boxes
    Dry Boxes
    Rubermaid Day Packer (Top Box)
    Equipment Cases From Harbor Freight
    Hard Saddle bags made for another Bike just drill hole where you want them.
    Pelican Boxes - Expensive but watter tight and warranted for life. for life.
    Gun Cases - Hand Gun Size

If the back of the box is flat you can use it easy. If not you may need to do a bit of design and testing to get it mounted so its vertical.

You could even make them out of plywood. Yes I have seen this done.

I've been considering attempting to make something out of fiberglass but I have not figured out how to get it to seal yet.