Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: A Harley Rider was NICE to me

Jess, there are quite a few Japanese cruisers out there with a fairly low seat that are mid size. Lynda's M-50 is one of them. With a 800 cc V-twin you can keep up with all but the really fast guys. Honda also makes some very nice mid size cruisers that you might try on for fit and comfort.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
GZ Jess

Thanks WW, I have sat on some Harley's that would work but for 1/2 the money I could get a great metric cruiser as well. I just haven't had the chance to sit on any yet. I just googled the M-50 and that is a pretty bike.

Jessica
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
Thanks WW, I have sat on some Harley's that would work but for 1/2 the money I could get a great metric cruiser as well. I just haven't had the chance to sit on any yet. I just googled the M-50 and that is a pretty bike.

Jessica
Lynda's M is nicely farkled for long rides and comfort. She said the GZ was a great trainer to teach her how to ride with confidence and move up when the time came.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #24
Zackman

I just recently started riding and prior to starting I always heard about the camaraderie between bikers. On my first ride out I was coming out of a corner and looked and saw a H-D rider coming in the opposite lane of traffic. He immediately waved to me and kept riding his massive expensive Harley...I got waves from probably 10 other riders in the past week and most of them were riding H-D's.
The only "rude rider" was on a Kawasaki Ninja 650cc, I came up to a stop sign and he rode up and passed me, then when into the opposite side of traffic to pass a car going the speed limit.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Had a rude rider pass me on the right side while I was making a left turn. He was in my lane and on a scooter. It takes all kinds and all we can do about it is pray for a Darwin Award to clear the streets of these clowns. I hope to see Scooter Boy again and give him a little scare with a very wide Vstrom.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #26
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Had a rude rider pass me on the right side while I was making a left turn. He was in my lane and on a scooter.
This is a MAJOR problem on the island. They can ride these scooters from age 14, with no licence required. So what you've got, basically, is children with no road sense whatsoever, and a childish need to show off to their friends, riding in dense traffic, with no idea of the danger that they are causing, or the danger to themselves. Just last year, I was in a stream of traffic that was approaching a blind right hand bend. I couldn't see round the bend, so I stayed behind the car in front of me. One of the idiots on a scooter decided to pull out & take the right hand bend, right over to the left of the opposite lane. The traffic came to a stop for a long time, & it wasn't until we heard the wail of the sirens that we found out that he'd ploughed straight into the front of a mercedes coming, quite legitimately, towards him. His childish brain (or lack of it) just hadn't told him that the lane he was in was for traffic coming towards him.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #27
ncff07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Had a rude rider pass me on the right side while I was making a left turn. He was in my lane and on a scooter.
This is a MAJOR problem on the island. They can ride these scooters from age 14, with no licence required. So what you've got, basically, is children with no road sense whatsoever, and a childish need to show off to their friends, riding in dense traffic, with no idea of the danger that they are causing, or the danger to themselves. Just last year, I was in a stream of traffic that was approaching a blind right hand bend. I couldn't see round the bend, so I stayed behind the car in front of me. One of the idiots on a scooter decided to pull out & take the right hand bend, right over to the left of the opposite lane. The traffic came to a stop for a long time, & it wasn't until we heard the wail of the sirens that we found out that he'd ploughed straight into the front of a mercedes coming, quite legitimately, towards him. His childish brain (or lack of it) just hadn't told him that the lane he was in was for traffic coming towards him.
Seeing a car coming toward you and getting out of the way is just common sense. either you got it or you dont. apparently that kid didn't have it unfortunatly.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #28
Easy Rider

Quote:
Had a rude rider pass me on the right side while I was making a left turn.
What ???

Let's see a show of hands......how many riders would NOT do that if the guy making the left was well out of the way and was waiting to turn ??
I would slow down but would not give it a second thought.

While it might be technically illegal, it seems pretty dumb to stop if there is plenty of room to go by. (And no, I don't approve of "lane splitting" under most circumstances either.)

[Edit] Just occurred to me that you didn't specify what you were driving at the time. I assumed bike in my reply. If it was a cage then...........never mind. :roll:
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncff07

Seeing a car coming toward you and getting out of the way is just common sense. either you got it or you dont. apparently that kid didn't have it unfortunatly.
He was riding so fast/so stupidly that he'd just gone round a blind bend, & didn't even see the car before he hit it. He just "had to" get past everything on the road, just to show that "he could". The consequences could never have passed through his mind, just "hey, look at me - I'm passing you all" :skull: He was riding a 50 cc scooter, so when he saw us experienced riders on bigger , more powerful, bikes, patiently waiting, he must have thought that it would impress people if he passed us all. So much for children on lethal machines.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #30
ncff07

I think we all have a phase when were growing up and think were invincible but its always bad when something like that happens. But sometimes its not always the kids though. Theres been 5 or 6 bike fatalities in this county alone so far this year. The one that sticks out in my head was a 25 year old that had just taken the MSF class and passed it and when he wrecked he had just left the DMV getting his endorsement 15 minutes before and was on some sport bike doing over 120 and lost it. Too much bike too soon and not enough experience although I dont think id ever venture to get that fast no matter what im on.