Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 04-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
northsidegz

Question Saddlebags: burned a hole

Over the winter I store my bike at a local bike shop. I had them install new tires this winter. No big deal. Got my bike back (they delivered it back to me at my home) and rode it into work a few days later. Upon arriving at work and opening the saddle bags it was clear something was smelling.

Sure enough, after replacing my tires and re-installing the saddle bags, they must have placed the saddle bags on my exhaust pipes. There's now a rather large hole in my right side saddlebag. In fact, I have a bunch of black burnt leather on the exhaust pipe, too.

My wife insists I call the shop back and tell them they need to fix the situation for me. I'm more of the mindset of, I took the bike back from them and told them everything looks fine.

Anyway, trying to decide if it's worth my time going back to them, or not. A bit bummed since they were a pretty nice pair of Willie & Max saddlebags, too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

This happens more often than people would assume... It's not big deal. the bags aren't even ruined, honestly.

Take a small rectangular piece of sheet aluminum, large enough to cover the hole, and rivet it into place. Think of it like a patch for your pants, only made of metal...cause your pants are so badass.

Joe Bielski did this a few years ago and from what I remember it held up quite nicely. With the aluminum patch he was even able to leave the bags touching the pipes and didn't have much of an issue with heat getting into the bags either.

That being said, it wasn't your install and someone else messed it up. You can take it by there to appease the wife - they're going to tell you that once the bike leaves the shop they aren't liable for damage. But maybe you'll get a different answer. At least you can tell her you tried and then fix it on your own and everyone is happy.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
ImaginativeFig

Lol, maybe they'll at least clean the leather off for you
Now I wanna patch everything with metal, 'cause all my stuff's so bad ass... except that my pants often give out in the thighs first.... metal patches in the thighs sound uncomfortable, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about people kicking me in the crotch... not that that's much of a problem now, but you never know...
hmmm....

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
tnastvogel

The same thing happened to me, but I was lucky enough to notice before it burned all the way through. I modified the straps the go over the fender by punching more holes in them so the bags sat up higher, then I drilled holes in the sides of the bags and bought some longer bolts to go through the fender and the bags so that they'd stay anchored.

I can take some pictures and write down the steps of the process if you're interested.