Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #31
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzbobber View Post
I definitely will get some good pics for you guys. The key they shipped me was incorrect, was an 08 not a 2000, about .045" too thick to fit in the keyway. Ordered one again should be here wednesday. Ill post some "as-is" pics today when I get home. Almost convinced myself to shave it down but im afraid it might compromise the "fail-safe" characteristics of it. Just wait on the new one. Bummer
Patience is a virtue. A little more down time and doing it right the first time can't be wrong.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #32
gzbobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Patience is a virtue. A little more down time and doing it right the first time can't be wrong.
I couldn't agree more, I have jumped the gun before and ended up needing new heads on my Nova. Lesson learned. I'll take this down time as a good thing and do some wire tucking or something. I was going to replace the air filter box with a cone filter this weekend, I remember the first time I attempted this the bike wouldn't run correctly under a load. Only let get half RPM or so. Tried adjusting mixture but couldn't get it to make any power. See how it goes this time!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #33
suzukix668

rotor

smooth out the case the best you can with a moto tool or sand paper for the broken bolts drill them out & use a 6mm helicoil I have a rotor with the clutch rolers & springs just take your time good luck

Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #34
raul10141964

to use the cone filter you need to change the main jet to a bigger one, I use a 140
Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #35
clofan

Just a quick update on the original post-- I changed my oil and brake pads over the weekend. 640 miles since the cold weld fix. I popped the side cover off again, and my fix is still holding! No metal shavings in the bottom of the case, can barely even tell there's a weld behind the large idle gear. I'd call this repair a success!

gzbobber, good luck on yours man!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #36
Water Warrior 2

Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #37
gz4me +

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Always happy to hear about another GZ up and running. Good Job!! Enjoy and ride safe.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #38
clofan

Here I am, 7 months and 1456.9 miles later, back in the belly of the beast:

[img]i.imgur.com/xWiYqMe.jpg[/img]

Same problem as when I got it, bolt from rotor sheared off and knocked off my makeshift oil passageway, jamming the whole thing up. I took her apart and replaced my bolts, this time with Red thread locker. Rebuilt my oil passageway as before and cleaned up all the metal shavings with rags and compressed air.

[img]i.imgur.com/MJY1k17.jpg[/img]

This is where that oil passageway goes:

[IMG]i.imgur.com/sN9nZzQ.jpg[/IMG]

Looks like it feeds oil into the clutch area? I could tell by the air that it went from the area close to the main shaft, up the passage, then into the above pictured chamber.

So. After letting the weld and thread locker cure, I started it up. It seemed to idle fine. I rode it up and down the street, all seemed normal and it operated fine. I pulled back into my carport, and let it rest. While I was cleaning up my tools, I noticed 6 little ball bearings that are 0.5cm in diameter. They were scattered about the floor, so there may be more than 6 in whatever they came out of. My question, do these bearings go anywhere in this side of the engine? I didn't encounter them last time I was in here, but I'm not sure what else they would have come out of. Perhaps the compressed air blew them out from somewhere in the engine?

I've been working on my lawn tractor and Honda CL350 in the same space, but I don't think they came from those either.

[img]i.imgur.com/IgX7xPt.jpg[/img]

Edit: BEARING SOURCE FOUND! Crappy craftsman stool that was falling apart

Last edited by clofan; 05-06-2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Fixing [IMG] tags
Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #39
clofan

Not sure why the Images are broken on the previous post-- I've edited them into hyperlinks, so you can click them.

I looked through the parts fiches on CMSNL and didn't see any of the ball bearings I found on my garage floor. At this point, I'm thinking they must have come out of some other project. That's slightly terrifying, but at least they didn't come out of the GZ. Time for another oil change (drat, literally just changed it last week), then hopefully the bike will be good to go for another few years of riding!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #40
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I can't access the original images to fix them. Are they in a private folder on imgur or something?