Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #11
Orpheus

Re: yes, tires

Wow, this is convenient; I was planning to start my own thread about tires and here's this one...

I just bought the Kenda tires mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1058 and I was hoping that someone here might have some review/rating information on them. I remember reading that somebody bought them and is riding them right now, but i don't have the patience to search for the thread at the moment. I really wanted the Pirellis, but I needed to consider the cost. They seem like pretty decent tires, and I really like the "low profile" idea on this bike. Any problems mounting them or anything, since they're not the specified size?
Thanks y'all.

Edit: the front is the 100/90-16 and the rear is the 130/90-15: $105 from bikebandit.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
mrlmd1

I have the Cheng Shin 120/80-16 on the front and it hasn't changed a thing that I can notice in the ride or handling.
Theoretically a narrower or wider tire, especially the front, will change the steering and handling characteristics of the bike - ie. very slight difference in turning radius going around turns or corners with a given amount of lean, but these offsize tires from what came with the GZ, the 110s or 120s, are only 1% different in width (10 mm, or 3/8" total width difference), so the rolling radius of the tire leaned over is not significantly different from stock and should make no difference at all in any riding characteristics. You must keep the 16" diameter, that's more important than changing 10 mm of total tire width, so go with anything, any good tire you can find in this range, and don't be too obsessive in finding only a very expensive and not necessarily better brand that's 110/90-16.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
Orpheus

Update on the Kenda tires.

I just took the bike out for the first long ride (around 300 miles round trip) on them and I don't really notice a big difference in the way they handle from the stock ones. I think they look pretty cool, too.

I did have a little "holy $#!t" moment when I first got them; I took a turn a little too fast as I was coming home from the shop and felt a little slippage on the back tire. The rear brake was also adjusted as part of the tune-up, which might have had something to do with it.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
JWR

I also went with the Kendra tires.
First ride was about 80 miles and they did fine.

My GZ is a 2002 and had 7250 miles on the factory tires.
The back had been worn out since about 6000 miles.
The front was very hard and weather checked.

Now if the weather will get better I will put them to the test.

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 01-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I did have a little "holy $#!t" moment when I first got them; I took a turn a little too fast as I was coming home from the shop and felt a little slippage on the back tire. The rear brake was also adjusted as part of the tune-up, which might have had something to do with it.
Not sure if it's folklore or not, but my understanding is you are supposed to take it easy on tires for the first 100 miles or so, especially around tight corners, untile the tires are sufficiently "scuffed." Not sure if this was your problem, but tires are a little slippery when they are brand new.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Not sure if it's folklore or not, but my understanding is you are supposed to take it easy on tires for the first 100 miles or so, especially around tight corners, untile the tires are sufficiently "scuffed." Not sure if this was your problem, but tires are a little slippery when they are brand new.
Folklore and fact actually. Also a couple heat cycles made a difference to the tires on the VStrom near the end of last riding season.