Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #1

matching up notches when adjusting chain

Okay, maybe a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. You know how you are supposed to match up the notches on the swing arm when adjusting the chain? There is a longer notch that I assume is to help you see and therefore count them (for visual reference).

The thing is, that longer notch is about four or five over from the left when looking at the bike with the front tire to your left, but about four or five over from the right when looking at the bike with the front tire on your right. So, ideally, do I try match those up? Or would you count four from the left on each side (or four from the right on each side, or whatever)?

I hope I asked that clearly enough,

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: matching up notches when adjusting chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
Okay, maybe a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.
Maybe.

You count X from the FRONT (or BACK) when making both adjustments.

This works whether you are right or left handed and whether or not you are standing on your head. :shocked: :roll: :biggrin:

:oops: (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Okay, maybe a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.
Maybe.

You count X from the FRONT (or BACK) when making both adjustments.

This works whether you are right or left handed and whether or not you are standing on your head. :shocked: :roll: :biggrin:

:oops: (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
I knew that was coming, but I still don't understand why the long notches don't match up. If you counted from the left no matter which way you are facing, wouldn't the long notch be four from the left on each side? But it's not. If you imagine a bird's eye view of your bike, the long notches should be straight across from each other, but they aren't. Why aren't they consistent, is I guess what I'm asking?

Keith

Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Stop thinking left and right. That is a path to brain damage. Wheel(axle) travel when adjusting the chain is front to rear of the bike. Count the marks on the swing arm and make sure they are the same on both sides. Just turn the adjusters a wee bit, a quarter turn to begin with and check the slack in the chain. Quite often that will be enough unless there is a lot of slack in the chain.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Stop thinking left and right. That is a path to brain damage.
:shocked: I think for some of us it is too late!!! :roll:

Kieth, buddy, ........stop a second and take a deep breath and THINK about what we have been trying to tell you. The marks are an index from FRONT to BACK and ***NOT*** from right to left. When you are standing on the left side, you count how many marks you are from the front mark......then you go over to the other side and COUNT THE NUMBER OF MARKS YOU ARE BACK FROM THE FRONT MARK again.

If for some reason you can't get a grip on that, let's try this: When you are on the left side, you must count left to right; when you are on the OTHER side, you must count right to left.

It is possible, I suppose, that your marks are not stamped right.......but HIGHLY unlikely, I think.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #6

I know . . . I know. I'm explaining it wrong. I do what you suggest when adjusting the chain. I guess it just bugged me that the markings did not "match up". Sorry to waste your time - it's not worth getting into.

Keith

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
dannylightning

the marks match up on my bike. the long mark is the 6th mark on each side if i remember correctly. both tensioners are lined up using the long marks, there almost dead on the long marks.. just about a mm behind each one.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
I know . . . I know. I'm explaining it wrong. I do what you suggest when adjusting the chain. I guess it just bugged me that the markings did not "match up". Sorry to waste your time - it's not worth getting into.

Keith
Keith, a question is never a waste of time. We all get to thinking too deep and can't see the trees for the forest sometimes. Just did it myself with Lynda's bike. And of course your question probably helped out some one who was too bashful to ask for fear of an EASY answer. lol. :whistle:
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
5th_bike

My marks left and right don't perfectly match up. So I try to get the wheel parallel to the chain as much as possible. Very easy when you have something long, thin and straight.