Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
birdmove

Re: changing tires yourself

I replaced both tires on a 2005 Kawasaki KLR250 dual sport a ccouple years ago (traded the bike off later). It's not bad. Remember that off road riders need to be able to fix a flat on the trail. I use 3 tire irons. You don't need super long ones. They may actually contribute to bending a rim as they give you too much mechanical advantage. I used a c-clamp to break the bead. Off roaders sometimes use the side stand of another motorcycle to push on the tire and break the bead. Windex works fine for a lube on the bead. A little talcum powder is good to apply to the tube so it won't twist, but will be able to slide and position itself as you inflate it. After you break the bead all around, be sure you push the beaded area to the center of the rim, which will give you the most "slack" on the tire as you work it. I use 3 irons, as I said. Two with my hands, and I use the third to keep from losing ground with the bead as I work my way around levering off the tire. I just set my knee on the one tire iron and grab another bite with the third lever with my hand.

I would suggest anyone to watch a youtube or two before they do the job.

You have to be careful not to pinch the inner tube with a tire iron as you install the new tire. Don't push the irons in too deep. I have never pinched a tube, but even some pro mechanics do from time to time (I work at a dealership). Use a good amount of the Windex to lube the bead. It's WAY harder to do the job without the Windex/lube. You may have to overinflate the tire to set the bead. You'll hear a nice POP when the bead seats. I did the job working on my garage floor.I used the new tire and set the wheel on it as I worked so as not to set the wheel on the concrete floor. Set the wheel on the old tire as you work to install the new one. Your just using an available tire as a work stnd to set the wheel on.

If you do it yourself it'll give you a good feeling to accomplish this. I did it the last time at 57 year old. The hardest part-believe it or not-was feeding the valve stem on the tube through the hole for it in the wheel. It was tight quarters there.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Re: changing tires yourself

Excellant info Birdmove. Also a good reason for folks like me(WITH NO PATIENCE)to go to a tire man for flats and replacement.
Mag wheels and tubeless tires are my choice, one of the reasons for the Vstrom and the M-50.