Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

changing tires yourself

Seems to me from regular reading of this forum that Badbob is the only one who changes his own tires on a regular basis (I could be wrong, of course). That makes me think it's something I should not do, but I'll ask anyway as I'm thinking of taking some long trips on the gz250 in some pretty isolated Michigan country.

Even if you could master the technique, what, for instance, is the biggest risk? Breaking some spokes? Bending the rim? Other risks?

Thanks,

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
JWR

Re: changing tires yourself

Your best bet would be to do this at home a couple of times. Do you have someone to guide you thru this??

That way you will know the tools, and how the job.

I have put a new tube in the front tire. Not a big deal.
YMMV

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

I'd imagine the front will be easier than the back. Not necessarily for the installation and de-installation of the tire/tube, but for the removal and re-installation of the wheel. I haven't done a motorcycle myself, but even on a bicycle, the back is worse than the front. With a bicycle, you can lay it down, even in the dirt, and all you'll risk is some grit on the chain. I suspect you don't want to lay a motorcycle on its side (do you?) given pesky things like oil and gas and such. Somewhere on here was a cheapo's guide to some two-piece wood blocks that assemble into a makeshift stand - maybe those would be of use to you. I'd also want to be clear on the technique for making sure the wheel is properly aligned and the chain is properly tensioned. And I'm guessing you have to deal with some sort of brake cable/caliper/housing disconnect/re-connect.

You will also need a pump, a spare tire and a tube if you truly want to be able to handle any situation.

I've given it some thought myself, as flats are VERY common on bicycles. I decided to add MC coverage on AAA as my solution. Not sure what I'll do if I'm outside cell phone converage or AAA coverage. My biggest worry is how I'll fare if the front tire blows out when I'm cruising down the 10 at 75.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
JWR

You are over thinking this.

Just remember this: Someone built this machine.
Someone can service this machine.

Read the manual and look at the bike.
Take off a piece and put it back on.
Take off two pieces and put it back on.
Ditto for 3,4,5.

You are not building a rocket ship.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

True, but it was built in a factory on an assembly line, with all of the tools and parts one needs at one's fingers. I think km is talking about changing a tire by the side of the road, out in the boonies. A little forethought will greatly improve his odds of success. I think the practice run you suggest is not only a good way to learn what needs to be done, but may also lead to a decision whether it's really worth gearing up to do in the field.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
I'm thinking of taking some long trips on the gz250 in some pretty isolated Michigan country.

Even if you could master the technique, what, for instance, is the biggest risk? Breaking some spokes? Bending the rim? Other risks?
Bent spokes, yes, bent rim, yes, and a very real possibility of pinching a hole in the (new) tube as the tire goes back ON.

Even if you could master the technique, how would that impact a ride into isolated territory? Would you carry a set of spare tires, tubes and tire irons ?? And then what for air ??
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR

Just remember this: Someone built this machine.
Someone can service this machine.
True but that "someone" might NOT be the rider.

All things are not possible for everyone. :cool:
Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
JWR

If I worried about the what IF'S.

No I won't go there.

Here is something to check into.
AAA motorcycle policy. Sat phone.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Here is something to check into.
AAA motorcycle policy. Sat phone.
I actually have the AAA and used it for the first time just a couple days ago, not b/c I broke down, but to have the bike towed to a shop to put new tires on and other routine maintenance. I know I'm changing the direction of the thread I started, but the mechanic calls me and tells me one of the spokes is broken from the way they towed it (not on a trailer, but rigged to the back with straps, one of which was through the wheel - yes, I questioned the driver if this was okay, but he said they tow bikes like that all the time - as a noob, I accepted that answer, even if reluctantly. Live and learn.).

Anyway, the mechanic says he's sure the way they had the strap between the spokes did it (we both saw the bike delivered to the shop, but did not watch the unloading process in its entirety and did not check the spokes before the tow truck driver left). Needless to say, the towing company refuses to admit they broke the spoke, saying it might have happened when the mechanic was changing the tire. The spoke was sheared off at the nipple (he sent me pics) and says this would not have been caused by me hitting a pothole or whatever (had the bike out 10 days or so ago and did NOT hit a pothole - wiped down tires and bike after the ride and did NOT see any damage to spokes).

Point Number One: Even if you have AAA, out in the sticks you very likely won't get a tow from a company with a proper trailer.

Point Number Two (Really a question): Yes I should have insisted on a proper trailer, even if they had to come back some other day - though AAA might refuse that demand and say I have to take what they can get. But what scenario would you say is most likely the cause of the broken spoke?

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever know and will have to pay for the repair all by my lonesome. I have a damage complaint lodged with AAA, but I"m not holding my breath.

Sorry so long,

Keith

Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
Sarris

Brother;

For the cost of a $3 spoke and maybe $10 to install, I wouldn't piss off AAA or the dealer. You'll probably need them again.

If you would have been real nice, the dealer probably would have installed the new spoke for free while they had the tire off.

Make sure if you call AAA (and have RV coverage for motorcycles) ask for a flat bed. I've had them for 20 years and about 7 or 8 tow-ins, never any problem, and usually within the hour.