Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #11

Re: changing tires yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
For the cost of a $3 spoke and maybe $10 to install, I wouldn't piss off AAA or the dealer. You'll probably need them again.

Interesting - the mechanic says the spokes have to be bought as a set ($42) and wants to charge me 2 hours labor, as he says the spokes are interlaced, so all the spokes need to be loosened and the ones near the broken one replaced. I'm getting hosed big-time, you would say, no?

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Sarris

Check the parts for sale on site, someone probably has a spoke or two they'll sell you. Yes, Suzuki only sells sets, but why??? Also, YOU can replace a spoke while the wheel is on the bike. Just deflate the tire (tube), push back the sidewall and tube, lift the rim strip, rmove the old nipple, and work the new nipple through the hole. The spoke inserts thru the hub hole. It took me 20 minutes to replace one.

I'd try an independant shop before I'd spend that kind of money for ONE f'n spoke.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

km, is it a front or rear wheel broken spoke ??

Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Rear wheel - I've been doing a little research and most of the info I'm finding is suggesting that replacing only one spoke is not a good, permanent fix as it can lead to an "unbalancing" of the rim. I'd suspect this is even more true with rear wheel? I've also been learning about how to "true" a rim, something I knew nothing about. Apparently, it takes special tools and is a bit of an art form. One web site I found suggested this is something you should do every time you change your tires, but that few riders actually do - or for that matter even maintain their spokes regularly. This may be an expensive lesson - and the mistake was so f **n avoidable - but I am learning something.

Keith

Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
mr. softie

I used to build wheels for racing bicycles and yes there is a learning curve that is steeper than one might think. Replacing one spoke should not be a problem however. You can pull a rim out of round or make it wobbly if you don't know what you are doing, but if it is just one spoke that broke, and it didn't break because of hitting anything, simply replacing the spoke and tensioning it the same as the ones next to it should cause no problems. Make sure the new spoke is the same as the old one is all. Try these guys for individual spokes http://www.buchananspokes.net/catego...ual_spokes.asp

If the nipple is still in place it may be possible to replace the spoke without removing the tire. If this is the case leave the tire inflated as that will help hold the nipple. You will probably need a spoke wrench that fits the nipple as well. Just remove the rear wheel from the bike and have at it!

Here is a bit of info I lifted off the web:
"According to DuPape, riders should clean their wheels regularly. That's the best way to prevent big problems. While cleaning, grab groups of four spokes and squeeze them. If done enough times you will develop a feel for the spokes' tension and notice when they start to loosen. Also, broken spokes or small cracks in rims will be noticed before they lead to other problems. A broken spoke should not be replaced individually and forgotten. It could be a sign of a problem. Consider buying a new set (How about those fancy ones you've been eyeing?) and have the wheel completely trued.

Every time the tires are changed, the wheel should be checked for trueness on a truing stand with the tire removed. While properly trued wheels shouldn't suffer from spoke "settling" after the wheel has been laced, new wheels should be checked after their first 500 miles or so. If a loose spoke is found, tighten it up snugly but not so tight as to influence the shape of the rim.

Eventually, spoked wheels will need to be retrued. Spokes are subjected to constantly varying stresses, and they stretch over time, causing looseness. DuPape says that only through regular spoke observation and maintenance can riders stay on the true path of motorcycling."

Old 02-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
I actually have the AAA and used it for the first time just a couple days ago, not b/c I broke down, but to have the bike towed to a shop to put new tires on and other routine maintenance.
I have two suggestions:
My shop offers free pickup and delivery on service work in the "off" season. They have a proper bike trailer and know how to use it.
Failing that, I would be tempted to wait until I could RIDE it to the shop. :biggrin:
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Interesting - the mechanic says the spokes have to be bought as a set ($42) and wants to charge me 2 hours labor, as he says the spokes are interlaced, so all the spokes need to be loosened and the ones near the broken one replaced. I'm getting hosed big-time, you would say, no?
NO !! (well except for having to buy a whole set of spokes......but then you have spares).

It is RARE in this day and age to find a mechanic who really KNOWS spokes. He is NOT bilking you on the labor. You want it done right and it sounds like he will do that.

I think I'd be tempted to have him check the spokes on the OTHER rim while he has it.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Rear wheel - I've been doing a little research and most of the info I'm finding is suggesting that replacing only one spoke is not a good, permanent fix as it can lead to an "unbalancing" of the rim. I'd suspect this is even more true with rear wheel? I've also been learning about how to "true" a rim, something I knew nothing about. Apparently, it takes special tools and is a bit of an art form. One web site I found suggested this is something you should do every time you change your tires, but that few riders actually do - or for that matter even maintain their spokes regularly. This may be an expensive lesson - and the mistake was so f **n avoidable - but I am learning something.

Keith
Keith, if you decide to do the repair yourself and have trouble locating individual spokes I will mail you a couple.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
5th_bike

My rear tire met a roofing nail two weeks ago, flat next day, and today I finally got around to getting the wheel off. Found a smaller nail in it too. That must have been why it needed air every two three months.

I wanted to get a new inner tube to change it myself. I have bicycle tire lifters, but they were totally inadequate, and the tire just didn't want to budge. :bang: How do you guys get that enormous rubber donut off its rim ? :??: Tire lifters seem not enough. I could hardly compress the tire when standing on it...

I brought it to the local shop where they changed the inner tube in no time. Back on the road ! :rawk:
Old 04-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #20
mr. softie

5th_bike, I put new tires/tubes on my GZ and used a pair of 12" tire irons I picked up down at the local motorcycle shop. I used a couple of bicycle tire lifters as "helping hands". To break the bead seal I used a couple of woodworking clamps and some short 2x4s. I then proceeded to spend the better part of an entire evening messing around trying to get the new tires on. Of course the tube got pinched and I had to purchase another tube. So in my view it is worth it to have someone else change the tires/tubes.

I am assuming they patched the inside of your tire as well as putting a new tube in? Recommended.

I also recommend using Armor all or the like as tire mounting lubricant if you do changee your tires/tubes yourself.