Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

oil & air filters

I was in NAPA the other day and asked them if they carry oil and air filters for the GZ250, I was told that if I can supply a part # they should be able to get them. does anyone here know the Fram #s for the air and oil filters? This would be great as I am far from any Suzuki dealerships. Thanks for any help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: oil & air filters

If they carry Hi Flo oil filters you can use a HF136. Or maybe use the # as a cross reference for a Fram. Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
If they carry Hi Flo oil filters you can use a HF136. Or maybe use the # as a cross reference for a Fram. Hope this helps.

You can also use Hi Flo Air filters, but you have to look up the part number by looking up one for the Suzuki GS500 (they use the same air filter box apparently) I use them in my bike, I have the part number somewhere but damn if I can remember where.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Do not use FRAM oil filters...period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calsci.com
Oil Filters come basically in three qualities. Very good, with excellent filtration; normal; and really incredibly bad. This last category, really incredibly bad, should obviously be avoided. Accordingly, never use a Fram, Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, or Quaker State oil filter in any motor you like. All of these filters are made by Fram. The filter element itself is a normal paper element, and probably no better or worse than anyone else's paper element. However, the end caps on the filter element are made of cardboard in these filters. There are numerous stories of these cardboard end caps getting saturated with oil and coming apart, putting little cardboard fragments directly into the oil flow into your engine bearings. As they say in GhostBusters, this "would be bad." Personally, I don't consider cardboard a suitable material for my engine internals. In the interests of fairness, below I reproduce a letter from Fram to me.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #5

I did not ask for anyones opinion on the the quality of Fram filters.The guy that wrote that article thats just one guys opinion, he,s an electrical engineer and that makes him an expert on oil filters?? this is a subject that has different opinions on every car, motorbike, and marine engine forum.
I have always used Fram oil filters and not once has the filter been the problem with my engines, its always been something else like a head gasket or timing chain etc.
My wifes Honda Civic has 325,000 KM (201,900 miles)on it now and still runs like a new engine. Always had Fram filters. I will stick to what works for me on all my vehicles including my wife SuzukiGZ.
Thank you WW and MM for the part #s

Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Sounds like you got what you signed up for then.

Good luck on your travels.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
mrlmd1

Getting a little testy and scaring off newbies?
I thought that was ER's job.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
patrick_777

You have to filter out the rabble sometimes.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
mrlmd1

That's your job. Go to it if you can pick out the rabble.. Hard to tell sometimes what is and what's not.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
burkbuilds

www.hiflo.com Premium oil filter HF 136 Replaces Suzuki 16510-38240 You can also get them on e-bay search GZ 250 and you'll probably have several options to purchase from depending on how many you want to buy at a time.